Human Biology Question about the effects of starvation on heart muscles

Discussion in 'Human Biology' started by Aubiefan05, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

I’m trying to find information about the long-term effects of malnutrition on cardiac muscles. I know that emaciation weakens the heart muscle and have read of “sudden cardiac death” and increased risk of myocardial infarction, but haven’t had much luck with finding detailed descriptions/statistics.

The hypothetical type of case that I’m interested in is a female who received good nutrition as a child but became malnourished and underweight (with the accompanying amenorrhea) around age 13, staying under recommended weight for at least five years, while exercising several hours a day, seven days a week. (Basically, anorexia cases).

How reversible is damage of this sort? Are there any specific vitamin supplements that would be especially beneficial in a case like this? Also, I’d be very interested in reading explanations of the exact physiological reasons/processes for “sudden cardiac death,” not that I’m doubting that it’s a risk, it’s just that most of the resources I’ve found have been a little vague on exactly what happens to cause it.

Any information is extremely appreciated, thanks for your time.