Metaphysics Prioris

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by tablet, Oct 5, 2004.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

A priori. It's a latin expression means you can know something being true without prior knowledge, a priori.

I don't believe that that is possible. I brings this up because I did a chat experiment with an AI and that got me thinking.

"The strong protect the weak"
    Is a statement of priori.
    Priori is an interesting expression.

::yes, the AI said that to me. :0

[Edited on 12-6-2004 by tablet]

2. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

this is new to me, i've never heard of it before

did the AI say that quote to you?

its uinteresting as well because thinking about this stuff uses one of the highest levels of our brain

3. ZeroDeep

ZeroDeep New Member

“A priori” and “a posteriori” you mean; these were coined by Immanual Kant.

The distinction between the knowing of certain propositions based on how and what is “A priori” and “a posteriori”: Emperical and non-emperical knowledge: "A Priori" are propositions knowable independent of expeirence; and, "A Posteriori" are propositions knowable based strictly on experiences.

For example, a good argument would be that of pain: We can ascertain the existence of pain 'a posteriori'; we know pain exists, for we can say with absolute certainty through the tautologous expierence of pain.

Immanuel Kant wrote a great deal many books that one would want to add to thier readings.

Deep

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by ZeroDeep]

4. Juanita

Juanita Member

I have experienced, and I'm sure many others have as well, the 'knowing' of things before I read of them. It was because I was so convinced that what I knew was real, that I would investigate and, sure enough, it would be there. This started at a very young age for me, but the frequency of such events have significantly lessened in time.

Although many speculations (i.e. - 6th sense) can be added to the reason of why, I believe one of those lies w/in our own individual DNA. Little is known as to all the information that the genetic code stores, but I will use a lay(wo)man's example to help explain my theory.

Say that you have an interest in candles. You have no idea where this profound interest came from, as no one you know uses them for anything other than decoration, if that. The desire to have a candlelit atmosphere inspires you to do such, and you appear to your family to be 'going through a phase'. Somewhere down the line, you find out that you grandparents were the same way. Though you may have no recollection of them ever burning candles while you were young, and they passed away long before you could ever get to know them, you still carry a part of something they enjoyed in your genes.

I found this to be the case in many people when I first started wondering where I get my ideas/beliefs and curiousities from. Experiencing a person's likes or dislikes often leld me to assume that it was from their parents....Yet, on knowing their parents, they had changed their own interests before that child was born, or would say that their child is a reflection of an ancestor (grand or great grandparent...).

Information is stored in our DNA, that much is known. But what kind of info other than what disease we are predisposed to? Would it be that far-fetched to contain the knowledge of the ancients and how we got here w/in our genetic coding? I think it's highly possible/probable. I've heard it said that we already 'know' everything, we only go to school to remember.

5. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Void. I wasn't paying attention (it's 2:am :lol: ). I decided to void it so it doesn't cause any confusion.

Juan question was answered on the belief system thread.

[Edited on 12-7-2004 by tablet]

6. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

So could Priori be instincts? Something you are born knowing, you do not need to be taught. So Tablet, i think that the child never LEARNS it is protected by its mother. It just knows.

---pineapple

7. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Void.

[Edited on 7-12-2004 by tablet]

8. pineappleupsidedown

I am christian, so I believe God knit us together the way he wanted us to be.

Sperm really arent as smart as all that. They head upwards, and millions of them dont make it cause they stop and try to get into a different cell than the egg.

---pineapple

9. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Void. (just remove post with void in it)

[Edited on 7-12-2004 by tablet]

10. pineappleupsidedown

I do not know what you mean by that. What i learned was when a sperm got into an egg, the egg's shell instantly hardens (chemical reaction?) so none of the other sperm can get in. Then they are just outta luck.

My head is starting to hurt with all these deep issues as well. Maybe i should head over to Brain teasers for a bit. lol

---pineapple

11. ZeroDeep

ZeroDeep New Member

Tablet,

A priori: "20+20 = 40"
    A posteriori: "Iraq is located somewhere near Saudi Arabia"

A google search will do great justice.

http://www.philosophypages.com/dy/a5.htm#a-pr

Deep

12. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Interesting, I will have a deeper look later. What's your view on Prioris Deep? Do you believe that one can know without prior knowledge?

13. ZeroDeep

ZeroDeep New Member

Faith. Faith is the epitomy of this; Christians tend to revert to faith when debating a priori. I'am not too well read on Kant, much of his material bores me, like most other western philosophers.

I'am an east Indian, and come from a family of eastern though. I had a hard time in philosophy classes trying to percieve the world in western thought.

Most people abide by generaly accepted universalities, wether or not they're A priori.

Deep