Metaphysics power

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by Icewolf, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

now this might not sound very philisophical but bear with it a moment.

Who holds the power in todays society?

2. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

I do !

At least over what I survey.

My 'puter, my vehicle, my relationships, my castle, etc.

3. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Who holds the power in todays society?
    What kind of power?

The way I see it power exist in many forms. But I assume you're talking about money power. Coporation, Business they have alot of power.

4. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

no, power,
    power over what we think, power over what we want
    Big business, coorperations only do well if we buy what they're selling, get what I'm angling at.

5. Young William

Young William Premium Member

Though it's true that financial gains are weighed upon a scale akin to each individual's standing. Power itself is not found within the individual, but in what the individual leaves behind for others to follow. At least in my opinion.
    Sure, we've all heard, somewhere, about the secret societies of the elite that seem to exert overwhelming influence, however, pledges, oaths, and brotherhoods are great for the "treehouse" meeting. In times of diseaster, despair, and shock, however, many seem to fall through the roof.
    In my pursuit of happiness, I tend to place most of my emphasis upon the person that I am today. Their will always be classes, it seems, and within each societal rank, one will find broad boundaries, that again, don't add up. Is public policy a creation of those in power? Maybe so, but with so much more to discover, I will hesitantly remain optimistic.

6. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

It's all relative mr bush thinks he controls the world, but that doesnt really affect the life of the average joe, i think that no one has the charisma right now to have the same power that someone like che or hitler had

7. AD5673

AD5673 Member

money, lol

8. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Why is powre so tempting. In many ways some people in all their lives try to take over everything, from a small project at school, to a bigger organisation. Power seems to have an unusual affect on people.

9. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

Power is a hunger in some. Those are the people who should not be given it. Oh you think, ' I would do so much good if I had it'. It's never tempted me.

Greed is tempting. Like the Lord Of The Rings query, do you want the power inherent in the office you have worked your way to, or do you want power beyond anything required to do your work, or survive comfortably?

Most would choose the former.

10. badkitty

badkitty Member

The education system and the media, sadly.

We just assume if we learned it in school then it is fact and too many people believe what they read, hear or see in the media. Actually, as I think about it - who holds the power over our educaiton and media? Dare I say the government?

Yes - the government holds the power because they control our education, communication, transportation, and sustinance (in most cases).

11. Ape

Ape Premium Member

I think your all wrong society holds the power there the ones paying the taxes, feeding the "government" If society really wanted to they could over throw anything they want to. Yet there too lazy and would rather follow then lead. Pitty. :no:

12. Young William

Young William Premium Member

The same familes that remain "closely Knit." Extreme accumulations of wealth can only come from extreme types of measures. Steven Sora has released a work entitled "Secret Societies of America's Elite."
    It discusses mostly Middle-Age piracy, opium smuggling, and the American Revolution. Remember the two candidates seeking the Presidential seat were both "Skull and Bones" inductees. This a a society that accepts very, very few, and is run, well, around the campus of Yale..........

13. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

Drugs, arms, communications / media, religion, energy (oil)
    With politics as the justification.

But for someone to have power over me I must first let them.
    To a point I do because it is easier to survive like that. Work, pay my bills etc.
    I have a daughter to look after.
    But I like to think I have ownership of my own mind.
    If someone pulls a gun to my head and I am strong enough to say, I pitty you but I love you, then I am beyond the controls of power.
    Don't be a follower....

14. Ape

Ape Premium Member

I want to change my answer to the family. The typical family of the area has the power. But generalizing it more money or the money weilders who everhas money has power I think thats dum but I think it's true.

15. Damin

Damin New Member

i think you are right but that is the way we work

16. Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick Member

Noone power is an illusion

17. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

Power is not so much an illusion as an exaggeration. Power will fade. You die, and the power you had comes down to noting. No mortal has power over death.