ID Lounge Play an instrument?

Discussion in 'ID Members Lounge' started by Mizar, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

hehe im a woodwind player myself clarinet all saxaphones and bass clarinet ahh the joys of renting instruments from school.

but i really only play saprano clarinet in concert. id say my level of playing is intermidiate currently im working on playing Holst- Military suite for band in F.

i was told generally smart people play instruments or pratice music. i have also seen the studies proving it

any one play anything and what kind of music do you play. im all about jass ( new orleans native) and classical.

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

No music for me, but it is one of the things that I really want to do. I am planning on starting Trumpet lessons this year. I want to play Jazz! I wanted the Sax, but too many fingers having to do too many things... ha ha

Although the trumpet is very hard to blow, I figure it will be easier than makeing 10 fingers do 10 different things/.... ha ha

3. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

actually sax is alot eaiser to play than trumpet and the fingers arent as hard as you wold thinkand generally you wont have to da any crazy motions just lifting and droping. wood winds are eaiser to learn but when you gtet into it and become a real player the speed of fingerings can be overwhelming. trumpet can take a long time to get even a decent sound out and personally im not a big fan of trumpets i like melephones its a lovely instrument with a shear bueaty in its sound. its concert version the french horn is another great instrument. but dont be misled by the many keys and fingerings ok sax but its your decision. ive just seen so many young kids throw away music because of that. brass to hard to make sound and woodwind too hard to finger.

What are saxaphones made out of?

old trumpets

cheezy joke

4. JcMinJapan

Very cheesey.... ha ha ha

I have heard that about the trumpet. But, when I listen to Jazz and hear that trumpet go off, it sounds so cool! ha ha

The fingering is easy, well, it is limited to one hand... ha ha ha I have many years to practice to make music from the thing. I do not give up and I never fail! ;) BWAHAHA

5. Dr. Stupid

Dr. Stupid New Member

drums & percussion

6. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I used to play clarinet.

---pineapple

7. Psychoses

Psychoses New Member

I used to play music when I was younger. My mum started me off on piano when I was 4. By the time I turned 12 just couldn't be bothered practicing for 3 hours a day.

So then went to guitar. Was a fairly easy change as I already knew how to read music. Also had a lash playing bass guitar. Got into a band when I was 15, but it was really only for fun.

I can't play anymore cause I cut off my pinky finger in a work accident. Thems the breaks, I guess.

8. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

I play all 5 Saxes (Alto, Tenor, Bari, Bass and Soprano) and any instrument on my synthesizer on my comp.

9. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Forced piano lessons all the way thru high school , forgot it all....

Just got a Casio keyboard , finally WANT to play something .

10. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

I have never taken any formal music lessons in my life. I play the piano, drums, and acoustic guitar by ear. By no means am I any good (except for the piano, I am not too bad) I just play for the fun of it. If I was meant to be good, I would have been, I guess. Havent played an instrument once in at least the last 5 years. Now that I live in an apartment, Im sure the neighbors wouldnt want me to start again. hehe.

11. PurdueNuc

PurdueNuc New Member

I played trumpet from 5th grade through high school - jazz, concert, and marching bands. I was decent, but not the greatest (lots of problems in the higher range). My senior year, I switched to tuba since we didn't have any in the marching band, and it turned out I was a natural. My embrochure just seemed better adapted for tuba than trumpet.

After playing tuba for only a couple months, I auditioned for and made the Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps, one of the top corps in the country (they won the Drum Corps International championships four of the last five years). It was a very difficult but memorable summer, but after that year school got in my way.

In collegeI joined the marching band, which wasn't much to my liking (I prefer to enjoy football games). The symphonic (top) band director asked me to sit in while I was in marching band, as he was short on tubas. I spent the next two years in symphonic band and symphony orchestra. Unfortunately, school once again got in my way, and I haven't played in about two years.

I have every intention of playing again, perhaps in a community band. Music is a great diversion, and allows one to excersice part of the brain that doesn't see much action otherwise.

Mizar - I love playing Holst, his music is a low brassman's dream. We played The Planets when I was in orchestra, and I got to play euphonium. Talk about sweet! I loved playing Mars and Jupiter, great euphonium parts. Second Suite in F is another great one, I only wish I got to play euphonium in that, too, as it has an awesome solo.

JCM - the trumpet isn't really that tough. Dedicate yourself to practicing every day, and get a good tutor. If jazz is your gig, listening is just as important as practicing. Now, if you want to play like Doc Severinson or Wynton Marsalis, well, good luck. :)

12. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

thats awesome i went go see the cavaliers this year in baton rouge LA. i wish i coulda played planets its one of my favorite groupings. Suite in F is cool but its hard for a HS band i plan to go forward with my music life so im not having troubble and ive always liked the song. but between the cavalieres and a college symphony thats just great.

the LPO our local orcherstra is playing the planets in a few weeks im going see it this week ther are playing beethoven symphony 5 im gona go watch that also.

( sorry if my typings bad sorry)

13. earthtone

earthtone New Member

I play guitar, drums, clarinet and a little bit of piano. I like to play all kinds of music ranging from jazz to spanish flimenco to metal. Nice to see lots of players, love it.

There is a link to a BelowtopSecret thread with one of my MP3's if anyone is interested :D

14. JcMinJapan

No, Byrds level is enough for me..... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

15. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I use to play the sax (bass and alto) then I moved onto guitar, bass and drums. I use to be in a band back in high school, we played a few gigs in the local bars, mainly did covertunes. Of course this was the late 80's and everyone wanted to be in a band, for those who remember the 80's, hard rock and upcoming true alternative music was coming of age then. We won a small 20 min gig back in 89 and was the starting band which a local popular band following then the opening band on tour ChemLab who was touring with NIN for their the Pretty Hate Machine Tour. It was awesome, that was our only big thing and pretty much after that, broke up and went our seperate ways. It was fun while it lasted.

16. overrocked

overrocked Premium Member

Grew up learning how to play keyboards, I remember the first song i learned how to play(that I wanted to play) from a 70's book I PICKED OUT- 'Age of Aquarius'-before that it was organ church hymns
    took piano in college
    my favorite song to play is Guns and Roses 'November Rain' And 'Tears in Heaven' Eric Clapton

Also learned how to play guitar in my teen years- 'Hotel California' Eagles
    'Come to my window' Melissa Ethridge'

Played clarinet in high school band-

Learning to play violin (currently it still sounds like catfighting)

I think that if you learn to read music, and you take the bloody instrument out of the box, you can play just about anything you put your mind to- it just takes obsessive-compulsive practice to become good:roll:

17. Gravare

Gravare Premium Member

i need someone desperately to teach me to play drums. i really have no special talent, and want to give the drums a shot, but alas, i have no place to store a drumset as my room is about the size of a closet and i live in a townhouse.:no: