Technology Plasma Television for Christmas ? ...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Mark, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

You may want to wait, and buy it soon after.

Plasma TV prices are set to drop immediately after Christmas.

I have heard reports of some models expected to drop to est $1200.

This and apparently a price war too...

Plasma prices plunge

Flat-panel TV prices to drop after holiday season

Welcome to the modern world of electronics, It depreciates faster than a well-used automobile.

2. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Premium Member

Why yes, I'd love one! Thank you Smirk! When will it arrive?

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

And always right after Xmas. One of the reasons gift cards are rising in popularity.

---pineapple

4. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Premium Member

actually I would love to have one. BUT, I still worry about quality and durability. And, thus far I feel they are overpriced.

Perhaps this fall in prices may find me taking a closer look, but I will stay with my 11 year old (and still working like a champ) Mitsu for now.

5. sardion2000

sardion2000 Member

Seth, the Plasma's and LCSs have come a long ways in terms of quality. Durability however is another story. CRTs still outperform anything on the market to date, however there is a couple of technologies you might want to keep an eye on. iFire Displays, Carbon Nanotube TVs, OLEDs, there are lots and lots of new types of Flat Panels coming so to spend 1200 $ now would be IMO foolish. The next gen panels are being designed to be ultimately cheaper then all currently available displays. One other tech that is rapidly improving is Projectors. Man they kick some A. Check out this link, it doesn't show it in action(you gotta see these new ones in person to believe it)

http://wirenh.com/features/thenextworld/

6. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Plasmas are big here in Japan... do I have one? No, I have a High Definition TV (HDTV). But, I know several with plasmas that they cannot be beat! You put a DVD on a large plasma and it feels like you are watching it live. I recommend them. I have never heard any complaints from people that I know with them.

7. shots

shots New Member

Plasmas are great when they are new,
    however until everything goes full HDTV I would hold off. The reason I say this is because of burn in. When a normal none HD program is on the edges show which results in eventual burn in. The effect is the same as happened on older CRT's when using a screen saver, you could see the burn in eventually.

Keep in mind that there is now talk in the US that is that they may allow the manditorychange over date to go from 2005 too 2009. That alone would allow for more burn in times.

Here from another HD discussion forum
    The real problem is the "black bands" on the side of TV shows that are not ready for the new 16:9 ratio. This area will definitly burn-in and you will notice this on 16:9 stuff. What's worse is that this area even burns in the chanel information box (that the TV puts on the screen). Little icons can be seen like "TV Guide" which we might have watched to see what was on one time.

A good alternative would be a DLP, you can get a 50 inch for around 3499.00 on sale. Sure beats 10k or 12k for the same size plasma. The quality of picture is almost as good as plasma I might add and no burn it with a DLP.

8. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I think the big thing with the US is the import of them. There have been laws for years to stop the importation of the TV. I think to allow US firms to catch up with the Japanese in this area. Plasmas have been around for around 10 years over here in Japan. Their prices have dropped over here and I have not heard of any complaints. I know people that have had them over 5 years already and there have been 0 issues. I know about 5 different people with them, as these are people that love movies and could not live without the best surround sounds and TVs. lol....

The US for many years used stopped the importation, due to TESTING of the gas in the TVs. It seems now that US firms are catching up to the Japanese in this area, they are getting less strict.

9. big goober

big goober New Member

What does NTSB stand for?:frog: Might be NSTB!!:lol:

10. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

NTSB=National Transportation Saftey Board

NTSC=National Television Standards Committee