Astronomy Planets in Natural Order

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by Mizar, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I cant find the article in my sky and telescope mag. but i read it yesterday anyway ill just post what i read

In late november and early december the planets will be aranged in the sky in their natural order meaning, they will be on the epliptic in the order of mercury venus mars jupiter saturn uranus neptune and pluto. Of course you will not be able to see them all at once because of the elongation of the orbits but through out the night the planets will parade in this order backwards from east to west in the night sky. the article had some dates. i cant remember the dates that gave historcal significance of this event but when i find it i will post the dates. one was that this "pehenomena" of the planets hasnt happend in the sky seince the before the invention of the telescope. when i find the actual article ill post it in full.

2. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

will it be possible for pluto and neptune to collide~? i have always wondered this.

3. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

I'm not sure of the chance of Pluto and Neptune colliding...but last month's "Discover" magazine had a really good article about the solar system and Pluto's place in the Kuiper belt. It was the first I'd heard about Pluto being demoted from official "planet" status, although I don' t keep up with astronomy as much as other things so I may have just been behind on that.

4. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Well, by todays standards.. Pluto is not considered a planet. But, a long time ago it was declared a planet when it was discovered in 1930, so they keep it as one. there are actually objects in the belt with similar orbits and they are not considered planets. It was actually listed #1 in what are called Trans-Neptunian Objects or TNOs by the International Astronomical Union, which is the official organization when it comes to classification and creating international standards for the worlds astronomers. But, Pluto will have a dual classification of being a planet as well. There was a new OBJECT found in the belt called Quaoar and orbits the sun once every 288 years. Of course, there was Sedna that was discovered I think this last may as well and I think it is even larger than Quaoar as well and takes a whopping 11,487 years to orbit the sun!

I have not heard of the natural order thing before. I would love to have to link to it. Thanks for bringing this up. Love to learn new stuff. :D

5. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I was just wondering this same thing two days ago !!!! so I looked it up ....

Deneying ignorance one mouse click at a time ...

The Answer
    Pluto "crossed" Neptune's orbit on January 21, 1979, and temporarily became the 8th planet from the sun. It will cross Neptune's orbit again on Feb. 11, 1999 to resume its place as the ninth planet from the sun for the next 228 years.
    Despite the fact that Pluto and Neptune temporarily change places in their distance from the sun, they will never collide. This is due to two reasons: First, Pluto's orbit is inclined to the ecliptic. by 17 degrees. (To see an illustration of this, take a look at http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/billa/tnp/overview.html.) So even though we say their orbits "cross", Pluto is actually quite a distance "above"Neptune. Secondly, Pluto orbits the sun twice for every three orbits of Neptune. The two planets are said to be in a "resonance orbit". For such orbits, the two bodies never get close to each other. In fact, the closest the two planets come to each other is 2 billion kilometers.

Jim Lochner & Karen Smale
    for Ask a High-Energy Astronomer

6. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

7. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Cool, Mizar great article, if you think the image might disappear retype the article just be sure to give a citation. Text will remain on here while the pic might vanish but very good.