Lit & The Arts Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by Zsandmann, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Philip Jose Farmer\'s Riverworld

Has anyone read any of the Riverworld books? I loved the way he intertwined historical figures nto a sci-fi plot. I read them all so quickly I was sad whent he story ended because there were so many other stories that could be told in that setup.

2. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I have heard of it, didnt Sci Fi channel make a mini series of that book? I didnt see it, but just wandering.

3. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

they made a movie that was a backdoor pilot for a new series that they never made, it crammed the first two books into a 2 hour TV movie and totally missed the point of the story to me.

4. mscbkc070904

so not really worth watching then, bummer and dont you hate when they do that...cram something in, I mean look at LOR, they did a superb job on it...thats if you have seen all the extended versions

5. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I agree, LOTR is one of the most well transformed book plot movies I have seen, sure they lose a lot of the side quests, but the vision was preserved. However, that said, the movie is what I saw first, then it interested me enough to go pick up the Riverworld series, so good for that reason.

6. GoneFission

GoneFission Premium Member

I have read all of the Riverworld series, and I just couldn't put them down. I was inspired to read them from watching the SciFi movie, which hardly did justice to the books (as is often the case). The storyline is fantastic, and combines the best elements of science fiction, mystery, and historical novels.

Farmer did an excellent job integrating historical figures into the plot, and I loved how he mostly used lesser-known people.

As I understand it other authors have written books and short stories that take place in Riverworld, but I doubt they can much match Farmer's stories.

7. mscbkc070904

Funny how this was brought up, I was in the book store hours ago, debating on picking up this book(s). I looked at so many that I couldnt make a choice. I hate going to a book store sometimes, i can never make a choice on one book...

8. pantha

pantha New Member

I read all of the books in the riverworld series about 20 years ago. I really enjoyed them and have always wanted to read them over again. I'd love to see them made into a set of films with each part devoted to each book, you couldn't just cram them into a few parts. I think that if a good budget was ploughed into them then they would be pretty spectacular.

9. masqua

masqua Member

It was the river that ran through the entire series...we,as the readers followed the adventurers downstream, wondering at the distances and worried by hostiles along the way. As they began to understand where they were, the books started to lose their appeal for me.

I don't know why...perhaps because the story was going to end and I didn't want it to.

Wasn't it also Farmer who wrote the Gray Mouser series? Amazing sci-fi...