Technology Opinion Needed

Discussion in 'Technology' started by DreamLandMafia, Nov 21, 2004.

1. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

If you were on a message board, and you didnt exactly like that board software, i know alot of people dont like the feel of XMB, how much would you like it if there was an exact version of the board on phpBB? Same posts, same members, same forums, same everything? Except it would still be phpBB? So, you have 2 board softwares, XMB, and phpBB, but if you dont like one, you can use the other. How do you all feel on this?

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

how could you convert the info?

---pineapple

3. DreamLandMafia

Its not as hard as everybody thinks...its not different types of information. Its just stored in different places in the database and has different column names.

Opinions?

4. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

what would be the benefiet to changing for the average surf monkey (like myself)? Or is it all a matter of what you have on your end ?

5. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Ive usede XMB forums for around a year and a half and im perfectly comftorable with them
    but then again ive never know anything else so i dont know what im missing

6. DreamLandMafia

Lets say you like phpBB over XMB, but you like an XMB board because it has a good number of members and topics that you like, lets also say that that XMB board, has a feature where you can view the board in phpBB, as in have the same members, posts and topics, in an environment that you like.

7. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

i duno why complicate things even more

denying ingnorance is already a complicated process

8. DreamLandMafia

Its not complicating...its making it easier for some people.

This just an experimental concept of mine called MegaBoard, being done on my XMB Board, along with a phpBB Board.

9. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

This is basically technology based. Moved from Lounge to Tech

10. tablet

tablet Premium Member

DLM::i know alot of people dont like the feel of XMB...
    The question is... why do people like phpBB? What is it about php board that people like that XMB doesn't have?

What does XMB have that phpBB doesn't? Then we can choose the base and combine the two through coding. Alot of coding and redesign, yes. But that's one way for a megaboard. :bouncy:

11. DreamLandMafia

XMB is php as well....
    Some people like the feel of phpBB over XMB, they just do.

Better customizablilty..which is what makes this possible.

Im just trying to make it changeable for people that like phpBB or XMB, they dont have to be stuck on 1 board software.

12. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

phpBB isnt really all that in my opinion,...although the latest version may eventually be released and I hear it will be good.

My preference is IPB,.. as I am well versed in it and how it operates,... unfortunatly IPB is going to a licenceing program that can make it rather expensive.

The top dog is vButtetin,... but again a premium product with premium pricing.

XMB isnt bad,... and our super admins are very well versed in it.

They are all hackable and customizable,... but I have used phpBB and it isnt as sturdy or bug free, and has little support from the phpBB group. They are all volenteers and it is wholly open-source.

If you do like phpBB,... you may want to try a user modded version available to play with all the hacks available first.

http://phpbbfm.net/phpBBFM/index_fm.php?page=installedmods

Even though the script is well modded, be advised that some of the mods have security and functionality issues that will need to be observed. This is a third party product,.. and not supported by phpBB themselves. I had alot of fun playing with the hacks installed.

13. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

phpBB is also fairly easily 'brought down' if you know what I mean. It is notoriously fallable.

And most board script providers also have converters available for most brands.

14. DreamLandMafia

I was gonna do IPB, XMB and vB, but I hadnt been up to date on IPB and vB and since I last used them, a price has been put on them. Bastards. I am well versed in the older IPBs and vBs, from when they were free, phpBB and XMB. Mostly in XMB.

15. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

As far as IPB goes,... v 1.3 still usable as is free, but no longer downloadable from IPB (a great reason to keep all downloaded install packs as a backup)

But the new licence applies to v1.3.1 and thru to 2.x.x
    (one year trial,... unless you want support)

XMB 1.9 is in final,... and 1.8 is discontinued,.... with no sight of v2 anytime soon.

And vBullitin is just too danged expensive to maintain the license.

At least IPB offer's a lifetime licence with upgrades and support.

16. DreamLandMafia

1.9 isnt Final...1.9.1 is.

1.9.2 should be out in less than 6 months, if the timeline for 1.9.1 is to be a model. 2.0 would be in under a year, if I was a betting man.

17. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

You are correct,.... although I am always confused with the XMB group methodology of release.

The last time I read reference to XMB v2 was that it has stagnated in development due to other issue's,... and without a progress or release date.

I do not really follow the xmb group,... as often I cannot find sense in their actions. (personal opinion)