Astronomy [OFFICIAL] Black Holes Research

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by JcMinJapan, Nov 19, 2004.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

We have decided to fo with Black Holes Research before the Time Travel as there is more solid evidence for it. Amantine will post the details below. If anyone is interested, post in this thread that you are interested or U2U me. Thanks

Members:
    Amantine - Leader
    Members - JCMinJapan, IceWolf, Tablet, Mxyztos

2. amantine

amantine Premium Member

Members interested in this project: Amantine, JCMinJapan, IceWolf... (You can send a U2U to JCMinJapan or me to join the project)

Summary: I proposed this in another thread about getting more traffic to the site. Most people find black holes are interesting and I think they would make a good research project. I would like to make this project a bit more advanced than most explanations for the layman. I think we should at least discuss the following subtopics:

• (The history of the idea of black holes)
    • (Frequently Asked Questions about black holes)
    • The birth and life of a black hole (includes discussing different types, e.g. primodial, super-massive)
    • Hawking radiation and the death of a black hole
    • Detecting black holes
    • The classical mathematics of black holes (general relativity)*
    • The causal structure of black holes (Penrose diagrams)*
    • Information, entropy and black holes*
    • Black holes in string theory (fuzzy black holes)*
    • Wormholes
    • (Cosmic natural selection)

The four subtopics with a * are probably the most difficult. I also included two subtopics between brackets that are interesting, but not really related the question we want to answer in this project: What are black holes and how do they work?

I think we need to use a structure that slowly becomes more difficult throughout each chapter. Start with a simple explanation and only introduce the math later. I think we should aim for 4-8 pages for each subtopic.

We can get our information from Arxiv. Arxiv contains a lot of papers on black holes, so we'll have to choose which ones to use. Sean Carroll's Lecture Notes on General Relativity has a good explanation of the mathematics of black holes and MTW has a lot about it as well.

I want to know if you agree with the subtopics. If so, which ones do you want to do?

3. tablet

tablet Premium Member

It's a good idea to have a presentation or bulletin board on display while the project is ongoing.

That way guest have something to look at and get a feel of what it's like. Who know, it might inspire them to get invole!

4. JcMinJapan

I can use my site to hold all the data. Sort of like with the Rings game.

5. JcMinJapan

Frequently Asked Questions about black holes

6. JcMinJapan

Virtual Black Hole Tours from NASA. Click on the title of each one to see an .mpg movie of each. Quite good and informative.
    19.jpg
    [Edited on 22-11-2004 by JcMinJapan]

7. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

i shall join in this noble quest to find out about black holes

8. amantine

amantine Premium Member

An Arxiv search returned about 800 results. I found some good introductions, but I think this one is pretty good. It is a general introduction without much math, but with some good examples. It also covers almost every subtopic, including the causal structure of a black hole, the mathematics, black holes in string theory and black holes and information theory.

9. JcMinJapan

So, where are we in this? I have done the FAQ, any researchers want more on this area?

Amantine, anything specific you want me to tackle?

10. tablet

tablet Premium Member

What happened to amantine? Don't tell me she got swallowed by a Black Hole! :0

Well anywhere I just find a video editing software that might be of use when comes to viewing clips above.

AviTricks Classic Download

11. amantine

amantine Premium Member

I think you would like "The birth and life of a black hole (includes discussing different types, e.g. primodial, super-massive)".

12. tablet

tablet Premium Member

edit: format not important as of now. cleaning space.

13. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I think we should also add in "Black Hole anatomy". The shape of black holes, its technical terms so the reader knows what they're reading when they see words like "event horizon", "singularity". Currently I'm trying to find out how black hole really look like so I can create a 3d model and maybe do some sketches of it as well.

14. JcMinJapan

15. JcMinJapan

Great Article: From MSNBC
    Black hole’s blast pushes a galaxy around

16. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Some update on black hole. Quote:

Evidence for Milky Way's Long-Theorized Stellar Graveyard Found

January 11, 2005

A supermassive black hole, known as Sagittarius A* (Sgr A*), resides at the center of the Milky Way galaxy. Findings presented yesterday at the annual meeting of the American Astronomical Society in San Diego, Calif., indicate that it, in turn, could be surrounded by a swarm of smaller black holes that have accumulated over billions of years. The results suggest that the smaller black holes will eventually fall into the supermassive black hole, increasing its size and helping astronomers better understand how such black holes grow.

1.gif

Michael Muno of the University of California at Los Angeles and his colleagues analyzed data collected by NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory as the instrument monitored the region around Sgr A*. The team sifted through data from all the x-ray sources situated within 70 light-years of Sgr A*, searching for those that had characteristics of black holes and neutron stars in binary systems and found four sources within just three light-years of the central black hole. Initial models had suggested there was less than a one-in-five chance that even one such binary would be so close to Sgr A*. "The observed high concentration of these sources implies that a huge number of black holes and neutron stars have gathered in the center of the galaxy," Muno says. Indeed, the team estimates that up to 10,000 or more stellar-mass black holes and neutron stars could be swarming around Sgr A*.

The findings are the first evidence to date of a dense stellar graveyard that has been theorized for years and indicate that the black holes and neutron stars will slowly be swallowed up by Sgr A* at a rate of about one every million years, leaving the central supermassive black hole about 3 percent more massive in a few billion years. A detailed report describing the results has been submitted to Astrophysical Journal Letters. --Sarah Graham

http://www.newsisfree.com/iclick/i,67750459,1439,f/

End quote.

17. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Something worth having a look at.

Click here - it has some good diagram - Not much to do with black hole, mainly about stars but aren't stars ended up being a black hole? :)

18. amantine

amantine Premium Member

Mscbkc070904 has joined the project and will probably write a bit about Hawking radiation and the death of black holes.