Physical Science Numbers, The laws of Physics, and pretty much everything else we do.

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by junior_smith, Apr 6, 2005.

1. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

I was thinking the other day about our curiosity with the number 10 because it is the only number that repeats itself when added with itself (ex 10+10=20, ends with 0).
    now what would happen if you added another one digit number before 10. for this we will use ¬ as our new 10 and 10 will become 11 and such, so 2 digit numbers only begin at 10 or our previous 11, still following? maybe this will help:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ¬
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    1¬ 20 21 . . . .

thsi would totally mess up our numeric systems, so why do we have 10 numbers in our system, why dont he have 10 or more like the romans? well we dont use roman numerals now because they are too hard to multiply and subtract, this system makes it easier.

But then this got me thinking, is 1 really 1? sure when you think about how many cars you are looking at you are only looking at one, but if we take the number phi, or 1.618, this has been reffered to as the number of life, now imagine that was 1 so 1.618 became 1, you following ? good. then all our laws of physics would eb screwed up. So you could then infer that our numbers are not constants but variables. and evrythign we do based on numbers is actually based on false things.

its hard to change our number system, because it screws your mind more than a new language, but its worth thinking about if we do meet aliens one day how will we knoow that they use our language of numbers?

2. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I think numbers are just names we have given to a system we observe to exist in nature. Therefore 'one' is a term for a singular object and nothing more. You could call one two, but it wouldnt change its meaning. Any other intelligent life would have a similar system although it undoubtably would have different names and graphic representation. More likely the 'universal language' would be something like chemical compounds or elements than math in my opinion.