Metaphysics Now this is ancient Philosophy!

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by Mizar, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

"The time will come when diligent research over long periods will bring to light things which now lie hidden. A single lifetime, even though entirely devoted to the sky, would not be enough for the investigation of so vast a subject... And so this knowldge will be unfolded only through long successive ages. There will come a time when our decendants will be amazed that we did not know things that are so plain to them... Many discoveries are reserved for ages still to come, when memory of us will have been effaced. Our universe is a sorry little affair unless it has in it something for every age to investigate... Nature does not reveal her mysteries once and for all."
    -- Seneca, Natural Questions, Book 7, first century.

Amazing isn't it. How something so complex and advanced was so plain and simple back then.

2. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I have to say I liked that, I must go look for this book and read more. Is it really good?

3. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I havent rad the book just read the quote:lol:

4. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

well let me know or give us a book report on it when you do browse or read it, please.

5. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

It's a great quote.
    I like Seneca's work, as well as much of the work of the other stoic philosophers like Epictetus.
    Much of the stuff from that time period spanning back to the pre-socratics is absolutely beautiful writing and philosophy. I really enjoy it.

I think that particular work, although originally attributed to the younger Seneca, has now been attributed to his father.

6. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas New Member

If that quote is nearly 2000 years old, then it really does show you how little things have changed. Isn't it strange that the human race is still only in its infancy, and that we will have lived and died long before we might see a wise humanity? I emphasise the might...

However, if it is true that 'the greater the island of our knowledge, the wider the shores of our ignorance', then we are merely falling into a fractal of knowledge- ever accellerating forward but the view still looks the same.

7. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

Yeah, we're sorta just past the formulation of comm stage and beginning to run, not walk(3-4 yrs of age).

It took us 250-500 thousand years to get this far.

By the time we reach 100 yrs old the human race will have been here about 11 million years.

8. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

we are more advanced but we are no more civilized. we are huimans no matter what

9. Nygdan

Nygdan Member

Anyone who liked that might like Lucretius' On the Nature of the Universe

10. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

"we are more advanced but we are no more civilized. we are huimans no matter what"

Yeah, but maybe not for much longer.

http://www.ignorancedenied.com/viewthread.php?tid=2604

We are in the end-time as far as human is concerned.

We are already augmented humans(vaccines, prosthetics, internal pacemaker,etc) soon much more.

It has begun!

11. RANT

RANT New Member

A timeline of ancient philosophy: http://radicalacademy.com/diahistphil.htm

The Atomists of 450 BCE were more advanced natural theorists than most people today.

Metaphysics, Religion and the subsequent Dark Ages persist in the ignorance of mainstream dialogues where no renaissance will ever shine light.

12. Robroy158

Robroy158 New Member

sounds to me like this guy knew what he was talking about!:smug:

13. pieman

pieman Premium Member

reminds me of this,

"humanity is like to a baby in it's cradle, it believes that everything in the universe revolves around it because it can only view the place from it's own perspective,
    someday it'll learn to crawl around and explore a bit, lets just hope it stays out of the cuboard where god keeps the bleach."

ahhh, public toilets, your local font of wisdom.

14. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Did anyone ever find this book, or other parts of it, interesting to know the views they held back then in regard to science and philosophy.

- Ice -