Dismiss Notice
Attention: All Treasure Hunters.
Our Website Has Changed.

CLICK HERE for the Forrest Fenn Thrill Of the Chase Discussion Group.

News Quotes

Discussion in 'Website Support & Announcements' started by Mark, May 31, 2008.

1. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

We need to make one minor adjustment in the way news or article snippets are posted at ID.

This will be asked by all members from here out, and will help make the text clear as to what is your opinions and input, and what was from the news or article sources.

Requested formatting:

You will be asked to offer couple of sentences at minimum regarding the source material. This is needed to keep the topic from being just a cut and paste of someone elses work.

For example:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Title) : Aliens re-invent the wheel!

(Cut and pasted source snippets and put into quote box) :
    Now here is where you can add your thoughts, opinions, or rebuttals. You can add your text before or after the quoted snippets, but definetly do not embed them within it as that will add to confusion of what the sources text contains.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We appreciate you help in tidying up the way source material is quoted here at ID as the new ID4 will look and feel much better as a result.

Thanks again
    Mark

2. Derek

Derek ■֎؜♫■ Staff Member

I was going to post something on this but never got around to it before it seeped from my overloaded brain...

Due to the ongoing regulation of copyrighted materials this format Mark posted IMO would benefit all parties involved and not cross that barrier of content theft.

3. pyroboy4206

pyroboy4206 Aka that guy Premium Member

bummer... sorry dudes.

4. Derek

Derek ■֎؜♫■ Staff Member

Not saying I am not at fault to pyro, just that we need to be more prudent about what and how things are displayed from another sites original content on Ignorance Denied. As we become bigger in the mainstream of forums on the internet I can foresee this becoming enforced to a greater degree.

Didn't mean to make it sound so harsh and would never point fingers. :yes:

5. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

Bump, as this will be important for our future, and moderated in ID4.0

Keep up the great work!

6. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Indeed, don't just quote, comment as well. Those comments are what make a discussion. Don't wait for someone else to start, you have the first shot at guiding the topic. I think we are all guilty of this from time to time, and I'll do my part to make new posts interactive.

7. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

Bump, to keep this issue on top of our minds while we post, and refrain from lots of cut-and-paste, with little or no personal editorial.

This is important.

8. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

Bringing this up again, in hopes of clarifying the purpose and intent of this topic.

My goals in regards to the discussion, and hopefully expressed fairly and properly to our membership are:

1 - when posting external content, please do not do 100% cut-n-paste from other sources. We expect some thoughts and opinions or questions from the topic starter along with their submitted external content.

2 - when posting external content, please format appropriatly so that it is easily discernible by the reader as to what is sourced text, and what is the posters thoughts, opinions, or questions.

3 - of course, format the source link and give attribution to the author of external content. This required to give proper attribution to the copyright holder.

These are the standards I am hoping to convey to our membership in regards to referencing their posts using external sources of content, whether as a topic starter, or replying to a post.

None of this has anything to do with the type or quality of the external sourced text, as that is up to the poster to decide what is worthwhile to post, or the reader, who decides what is ill-conceived or otherwise. The reader will likely reply to such a post in regards to valid information or not and offer their opinions.

Please offer your thoughts and opinions as you see fit.

Thanks

9. pyroboy4206

pyroboy4206 Aka that guy Premium Member

I think we have gotten a lot better at this. I know for me, I noticed a few articles where I basically just pasted a whole article at a time.. and that's it. Hmm... What do you guys think?

10. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

I think overall everyone has improved greatly, and it lends enormously to a more social forum imo.

Thanks!

11. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

Bump for review.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Layaly

Layaly Premium Member

Will do!! I will read it again but. I see the quote button now too.
    thank you for bumping this one

Lol now I see how you do the spoilers:)

13. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

Yes we had to emplement this a few years ago. As the webmaster, it keeps me from getting in trouble.

• Informative Informative x 1