Technology New Trebuchet!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Mizar, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Well im about to start building another trebuchet. This will be my 5th one ive done. My other ones have either roted or have been torn apart for other reasons. I enjoyed the time i had building and launching stuff with them though. My main pourpose in building this one is for New Years. hehhehehehehe......

yea we want to launch alot of stuff and have things blown up and welll etc you know......

if any one is intrested in trebuchets please ask me for more information ill be happy to give it. Ill post the details on how its coming. I just started drawing the plans today.

2. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

ok here is what its looking like so far.

Height of axle 3 1/2 feet
    Length of throwing arm 7 feet
    lenght of short arm 2 feet
    Length of long arm 5 feet
    Counter weight mass 30 lbs
    and a sling that is 3.5 feet long

the physics involved in shoothing these things is phenominal

changing the slightest thing can impact accuracy, distance, and overall preformance.

ive had to work for hours before to get one to shoot right because i just changed the counter weight mass

they are verry hard to tame beasts.....

3. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Mizar , I posted a link to a book called " Harry And I Build A Siege Weapon " on another thread . The story (true story) was about a few guys and theire pet project .

The end piece wound up being a giant crossbow with old leaf springs for the tension arms if you can picture that ! . It was more than a lever mechanism with an arm .... Something to think about , and definitely take a look at the book . This thing LAUNCHED softball size rocks a very long distance !

4. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

So what exactly is a trebuchet for all those readers out there?:puz:

I wasnt talk about me, i swear:@@:

---pineapple

5. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

a giant crossbow , or a catapault *. Look at the works of Archamedies (sp?) for additional info! A GIANT LAUNCHER OF INANIMATE (hopefully) OBJECTS !! (No kitty or bovine launches...run away , run away !!!!!) * thinking back , I dated a girl with the last name of Buchet , it may also have a meaning relating to "one who throws destructive words"

* mizar has corrected me , this is called ( or is a type of) BILISTA . which makes sense being a balistic launch device.....

6. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Flying bovine!!!!

actually sounds neat. I'll have to look into them.

---pineapple

7. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Now go away you son of a sily person or I shall taunt you a second time.

8. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Z got the MontyPython reference !!!

I fart in your general direction .....(with OUTRAGEOUS accent !!)

9. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

here is a website that has almost all teh famous catipults evena bilista that OddTood was talkign about you can buy these kits if you want to but i enjoy making the plans and goign to Home Depot and doing it in my back yard

http://www.catapultkits.com/

OddTood-
    Ive built many bows from red oak before. Many; ive even goe hunting with one before. You could say i am a "Master Bow Maker" ive contemplated making a billista but i cant get teh right wood for a arm/bow if i ever across the right stuff imm be sure to do it!

10. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

THE TBM IS ALMOST COMPLETE!!!!!!

THE TBM ( TreBuchet Mini) is almsot complete. The frame is finnished and I am inside to decide how long i want the arm. This is not my BIG treb that i am working on this is a MINI one im building with spare wood from old projects the excitment and anticmpation got to me before i could buy the wood for the TBD ( TreBuchet Destroyer- the name for the New Year Treb!) hahaha i love theses things! and the best part they are consided WMD's hahahaha that makes it all the better
    im gona take a pic of the TBM when its all do and finnished

i love these things

11. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

pictures pictures pictures please !!! * oops you said when you were done... how bout a little teaser picture ?

12. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

haha here's your teaser odd todd

i just realized i dont have an axle

the tape measure is at liek 2 1/2 feet and thats a tennis ball on top which i intend to hurl

to give you an idea of how small it is o and yes i know thats a metal saw it was the only one i could find around

sp far accordign to my Treb Sim it has a projected range of 30 - 50 feet whihc is good for one that big

18.jpg

• Winner! Winner! x 1
  13. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

LOL! looks like my workshop ( the floor can be such a usefull tool / assembly location ) glad you are launcking lightweigt items (just to start with right ?)

look foreward to some action shots...

14. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

the heaviest thing ive launched in a treb before is a grapefruit.

the deadliest thing ive launched with a trebuchet befoer is a lit ready to explode firework Artlery shell

-----
    i have run into a dead end with this TBM ironically i need a sewing needle to continue. i need it to make the pouch for the tennis ball, i also discovered that hacky sacks wil be verry nice projectiles.
    i need string for the sling and an axel then ill be set for completion

im on standyby waiting for my dad or sister to take me to wally mart for the supplies:(

15. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Mizar I'd like to move this to the Science Fair Forum as it as more scientific merit than the Lounge can handle :) Perhaps you can post some blueprints, physics etc of your device. Looks cool btw, I saw Mythbusters the other night where they turned a bucket lift into a counterweight trebuchet.

16. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

The Physics and Info behind it

AH! how dumb of me im taking up all this space on the board with this thread and i didnt even go scientific im sorry how err.... irrisponsible and uh... stupid of me well here is a site because i am way to lazy to type up some physics myself

i used to know allt eh ratios when i first got invloved with theses things because i first built one as a physics experiment for myself
    they uses so many siple machines, wedges, axels, fulcurms, and other stuff, they use simple physics lek newtons 3 laws, and uh other stuff hahaha
    you get to see the physics in action also so its cool but here is the real techinal side of it all that i have no clue what it is or mabye i just got scared away byt the big blue formulas

Yahoo's Aabaco Small Business: Websites, Ecommerce, Email & Local Listings

17. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Excellent Site! Actually quite simple physics.

I put the full text on here because geocities sites can disappear quickly, but ifyou want to see the figures try the link

18. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

OK its done the TBM is finnished, with 8 man hours and 15$ was all it took to build this lil monster.Iit has come out workign sooooooooooooo welll im goign to make the big TBD to scale of it. im going to get the pics out tommorw its 12:15 at night ive been in my "hall" shooting the thing seeing how far it could shoot

to give any one who has and idea how amazing this little machine is here are the stats so far

Weight of Projectile 1/10 of a pound
    Weight of counterweight- 5 pounds
    Average distance of shots! ( drum rolll)

40 feet!!!!!

this is a incredible little machine it is bueatiful it works great it is going to kill me tommorw when i get to really get it working here is a completed picture

20.jpg

Tommorw im going to take a time exposure of it launching so you will see the projectile actually leave the pouch and see the arm " in motion"

but like i said its late and im tired

• Winner! Winner! x 1
  19. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

The launch pictures

it was a pain trying to take theses pics
    it didnt work out as well as i would have wished..

21.jpg

22.jpg

• Winner! Winner! x 1
  20. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

the TBM is workign fine and is shooting as well as i would like at about 40 feet. it has worked so good im going to make one 3 times its size for teh TBD. IM goning to go to HomeDepot tommorw and buy the wood. ill compact all of its info in one post so it will be about 3 or 4 days befoer i post back here with info onhow its being built.