Zoology Need advice:

Discussion in 'Zoology' started by Cinderloft, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

I need a little advice. My GF wants to get a kitten sometime down the road. Actually, she wants her other cat to live here, the one at her mom's, but it and I do not see eye to eye, and its too old to get declawed anyways. We now live in an apartment that does allow some pets, depending on what they are and such. Now, with all the carpets here and the fact it wont be roaming outside, it does not need claws. The part that bothers me is the cat litter itself. I will make sure we get the best, but the smell I can not stand. Not only that, but I have read that the air that comes from the litter box is very very unhealthy. I have thought about getting an air purifyer with a hepa filter, and having it close to the litter box. Would this help/work? Any thoughts, ideas, reccomendations?

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

The best advice I can offer (my husband and I have a cat) is change the litter box every day. If you get one of the "clumping" brands it's usually no trouble at all. No smell and alot nicer to clean. Oh BTW if the cat isn't declawed - get a couple of scratching posts. Trust me you'll need them.

3. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

I say wait until you have a place where it can be outside :)

cats need to run up trees !!! and fight with the other cats in the neighbourhood ha ha

otherwise get TWO so they have company

4. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

they also live a long long time .... My GF and I got one 16 1/2 years ago and he is still with me (GF has been gone for 14) .

i agree with helenheaven , wait til you have a place where the outdoors is available . They need to run and climb and chase birds .

I also heard that de-clawing is like having your fingers removed at the 2nd knuckle (OUCH) , and if you ever plan to move to a place where the great outdoors IS available , kitty is trapped inside without claws for defence .
    Poor kitty on the windowsill watching life go by.... :(

5. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

yes, but sometimes it needs to happen. My old cat would jump into my parents bed and kneed their legs with his paws. Can you imagine how painful that would be if he hadnt been declawed?

---pineapple

6. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Come to any conlusion yet?

---pineapple

7. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

Heh, I would have to make her wait for 5 years. Like that is going to happen. :) I think I am going to go with the kittens/declawed/hepa air cleaner idea, try it out anyways. I do agree that we cant get just 1, they need to play together. As for declawing, personally I dont like it too much, but if we get them, we have no choice, too many carpets, etc. My parents have a non-declawed cat who stays in the house only. Thats interesting, let me tell you. Heh. On a side note, I have toyed with the idea of getting two Siamese. Anyone have much experience with this breed?

8. ilovepizza

ilovepizza Premium Member

YAY you are going to get cats!!!! Cats do not need to be able to go outside. Just give them toys to play with inside. One of my friends has one of those toy posts they can climb on. That may be a little too much for you but it is an idea. As far as kitty litter goes, I have no idea. Sorry I could not help you out with that but I am much more of a dog person. If you ever get a dog just ask me for any advice.