Earth Science Mt. Asama in Japan is now Active

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by JcMinJapan, Sep 2, 2004.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

For a live Live view: 浅間山東映像 (website only in Japanese, but has a live view)

For the other side of the mountain: 浅間西映像

Any of our geological experts have any ideas on what this could mean?

2. JcMinJapan

My Daughter just got back a few days ago from an Ice Skating camp at Karuizawa. Right near the volcano....
    Good timing huh?

3. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I would not be too concerned Japan is still a very seismically active area, but at the same time I would not want to be near the volcano right now. I will look into this and see what kinda of volcano it is, there are those that just ooze like Hawaii but there are also those that can explode violently like Mt St Helens in 1981.

4. JcMinJapan

5. JcMinJapan

Japanese authorities were closely monitoring a volcano in a resort area of central Japan on Thursday, a day after its biggest eruption in 21 years.

Officials said a red glow in the darkness shown on television Wednesday was a forest fire set off by the eruption. The Meteorological Agency said no lava had been detected.

Agency officials had planned to inspect the mountain from a helicopter Thursday but had to delay because of rain.

It said tremors and other signs related to the eruption had since settled down.

Japan, located in the so-called Ring of Fire, an arc of volcanoes and oceanic trenches partly encircling the Pacific Basin, has 86 active volcanoes -- 10 per cent of all in the world.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_984063,00040007.htm

6. JcMinJapan

7. JcMinJapan

Volcanic Activity Subsides

It looks like things have slowed down, but amazing looking at the power of the earth.

8. justme1640

justme1640 Member

Have been checking the web cam from time to time --- is it putting out a lot of steam or smoke or whatever a volcano puts out when it isn't making lava-- notice what looks like big long clouds that seem to come from the center of the volcano.

Is there any site that translates Japanese into English?

jm

9. JcMinJapan

Actually,
    It has been erupting for the last 4 days now. They do not seem to be too worried. Strange that the Volcano happens, then it stops, then earthquakes start for a week, then they stop, then the volcano starts again. hmmmmm

10. JcMinJapan

Wow... took at look at the live pics above.... Some really great pics now! I love live cameras! yee haa

Justme wrote in another post that they saw lava at night... wow.. I will have to look.