Human Biology Most Americans Don't Believe Evolution!

Discussion in 'Human Biology' started by Bleys, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Most Americans Don\'t Believe Evolution!

I grew up in a rather religious household. In conjunction with that religious upbringing was my father's personal belief that God works according to natural law. The Bible was to be taken symbolically and not literally.

I knew that there were some religious faiths that preached that the Bible should be taken literally, period. My assumption was that they were a small minority - it appears that I may have been wrong.

CBS conducted a poll regarding creationism and evolution - the results were rather startling.

More than half of the US believes that creationism should be taught alongside evolution and almost 40% want evolution taken out of the curiculum altogether.

What are your feelings about the results of this poll?
    Do you agree that creationism should be taught?
    Is evolution overrated?

Bleys-

2. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

hahaha

ive said it already im hoping to becoem a preist in the catholic faith and i believe in evolution.

i believe in teh whole "Our days arent as long as God's days" deal.

but thats intresting

3. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

hmmm... Very interesting. But, Creationism... How can that be taught correctly? You will have to bring God into the picture. Well, what about the other faiths of the world? Will creationism cover all of them? Realians believe that aliens created us. Will that be taught? Some believe that the DNA arrived on an Asteroid from Mars. Will that be taught? Some believe that we actually were colonized here many many centuries ago. Will that be taught? Should evolution be taught? hmm, good question. Something should be taught, but what? No one is sure of anything though. All I know is that if one form of creationism is taught, then all forms should be taught.

If creationism is taught, then they should cover all forms. It should be kept very simple with each relgion or idea in short form and presented. Tests SHOULD NOT include evolution or creationism, unless they have questions about each form. Then it should just be the basic principals of each taught and tested.

4. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

They do include evloution questions, and these tests are used at state standards. I know because i have taken them. Teachers also present evloution as a fact. Personally, I think evloution is a feasible theory, but until we have more facts, it needs to be treated as such; a theory.

What i find funny about The Church is this: they like to go against science and declare "the bible says so" as their reason? Just think about how many scientists were shunned from the church. Now their fabulous ideas have been proven fact, and everyone accepts them. Will evolution turn out the same? I think probably yes.

---pineapple

5. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

These are some of the same questions I have. Personally, I enjoy the creationist stories of the Summerians, the Egyptians, Hindu and "the chariots of the gods" crowd. They are every bit as plausible from a faith based stand point.

I think it has to come to down what can be proven through empirical evidence. Dinosaurs, Lucy, etc. are tangible and credible. How do we establish that life was breathed into the dust and became man?

Mizar - What a wonderful and rebellious priest you would be. Your beliefs are so similar to my dads. 6 days could have been 6 billion years, adam and eve represent the beginning of #@!&% sapiens, etc.

Pineapple - My fear is that we are seeing a resurgence of suppression of scientific research similar to the early years of the Church as you suggested. Only this time it is wrapped up in Evangelical or Fundamentalist faiths.

Thank you all for your comments.
    Bleys

6. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

I agree with Bleys that the geological/biological evidence is too strong to deny evolution-although many people refuse to consider it, and somehow think it is impossible to reconcile evolution with their version of faith. I personally am a firm believer in evolution, and I disagree with teaching Creationism in public schools...

In my AP Biology class last year, I liked how my teacher handled the issue. We debated Darwin's theory versus creation, but instead of choosing our own positions she just divided the class down the middle. Some people had to argue against their beliefs, but it was a way to examine the evidence along with less bias and emotion involved in the argument, and our class managed to pull it off without any ugliness.

It's a tricky issue, and I really hate that some people are unable to make room in their lives for both biological/historical knowledge and faith, because I think it's entirely possible to accomodate both if you aren't too close-minded...

I seriously doubt that most of the people that say they don't believe in evolution have actually read much on the subject. I read "The Origin of Species" cover to cover a few months ago, and I thought it was fascinating, and I honestly did not think that the ideas presented were as "objectionable" to traditional beliefs as many people would expect...but that's just my opinion. My main point is that many people reject a theory they know very little about, and that's frustrating, and it underscores the importance of teaching it in schools in order to try to foster an informed public.

I came across this site a couple of weeks ago and found it interesting, I thought it might be worth passing along... http://www.cornellevolutionproject.org/

7. JcMinJapan

I find that the theory that we were genetically designed by aliens to be just as plausible as evolution and God Creationism. Actually, although I am skeptical of it, I find it interesting and intruiging. Actually, I think it would be pretty cool if we were. ha ha I have heard many will face religous doubts is that proved true. But, I think that even if the Bible proved to be just a misrepresentation of what happened or even an all out falacy, it would not hurt any belief in God. God will always exist in peoples hearts and mind and not just because of some book.

Sometimes, I think the Church & Fundamentalists are pushing for this as they believe in the BIBLE more than they believe in God. They need something PHYSICAL to secure their belief as internally they have to overcome their doubts. Someone that TRULY believes in God does not NEED the bible. In their heart, they have everything they need. :) Ok, the philosophy part of this is over. lol

Now, I think that evolution should not be taught as fact. There should be a clear distinction that this is the LEADING Scientific theory. I mean there are tons of GAPS in this theory as well. Why do apes stay apes and not get evolve more. Why does it go from ape to man? Why are there no species stuck in the middle as you would expect as apes are stuck as apes and not evolve.

It just seems strange that apes survived and ALL the #@!&% habilis, #@!&% erectus, #@!&% sapiens archaic, and #@!&% sapiens neandertalensis, diappeared or ALL evolved yet apes got stuck as apes with no evolution... :puz:

But, being the leading scientific theory it should be taught as theory. I see no problem with teachin the other ideas out there as well. the more people ponder the more we will uncover. Sticking with just one theory will only keep people in one direction. Giving all the major thought out theories is the perfect way.

8. tablet

tablet Premium Member

As we talk, god point his finger down to earth and say "Let there be debate!"

9. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

crucial question:

DOES IT MATTER ????

10. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I think it does matter Helen. We're talking about faith here and alot are serious. :0

11. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

Probably because many Americans HAVE STOPPED evolving.

My personal belief is that the difference between evolution theory and religion is...

misunderstanding.

12. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I am still evolving !

Oh wait , that's REvolving . oops !

13. helenheaven

edited: totally off topic...

when I say does it matter, I refer to a person's individual beliefs, does it really matter to you or I HOW we arrived here ?

Personally I believe in evolution, or a variation on that theme as to how we got here...

No schools in NZ teach creativism except private religious schools.

I find it absolutely astounding that so many Americans reject the notion of evolution.

14. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Sorry, I though someone went off topic. :lol:

15. JcMinJapan

Let`s try to keep this "on topic" ;)

16. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

That's the best idea I have heard regarding the church and state issues around creationism . Tell ALL the stories (I call them stories , you can call them theories if you choose) without any religious bias . Just convey what individual religions think with no mention of a teachers personal views and it will be reguarded as informative as opposed to a presentation of an actual event , and avoid a seperatist issue .

Many religions in the world have very similar themes in their stories of creation , I tink that is very interesting considering the age of religions and the language barriers 2000 years ago or more .

I believe in evolution (from what or where I can't say with 100% conviction . This is one reason you can't argue evolution with people of faith , their faith is all the proof they need for creationism)

I responded to Mizar in another thread and pointed out Georges Le'Matrie who was a vatican mathematician/astronomer . He introduced the "primordial egg" theory that scientists call the big bang . It enabled the church to finally stop oppresing science as it described a moment of creation that can be interpreted by each side in their own way. Einsten called it the most elegant description he had ever heard ...

The big bang , or the hand of god ? Decide for yourself.....

17. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

I could be mistaken on my info, because I cannot remember the book I read off hand like this.

According too the big bang theroy, first there was nothing, then there was a HUGE explosion. This explosion, instead of being a destructive force was a constructive force and created planets and stuff like that.
    Then there were these conditions on planet earth, THAT HAVE NOT BEEN RECREATED IN ANY SCINTIFIC LAB, that allowed life. Doesn't the theroy of evolution state that the world was in COMPLETE CHAOS and that slowly gaveway to order. That goes against the second law of thermodynamics which says "in a closed system, things will not tend too rise in complexity but will fall in complexity". The second law of thermodynamics doesn't state that creationism is true, but only demonstrates that Evolution is false.

18. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

For anyone who's interested, there is an excellent article by David Quammen (I love his books) in the November issue of National Geographic that covers the basic FAQs of current evolutionary theory, and also addresses many of the issues that people use to challenge it. I thought it was definitely worth reading for anyone, regardless of their personal beliefs, it's always good to be informed on the status of issues like that.

19. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I would just like to respond on the true stance of the catholic church on teh scientific issue. The Church welcomes scientific discovery. They see it as a gloryification of God and his awesome wonders. The adminstration believes this. The problem lies in the lay people and the congeration of the chruch. There are many radicals in everything. There are many people in the church who are Bible literalists and see science as a threat to the authority of the church. Theses people when they hear of a discovery that could " disprove the existince of God" they becoem scared and dont even try to look into it. THey take a stance immeadiatly with out questioning it or realizeing what it is. There is a good precentage of the Catholic church that live in a great harmony with science and make sense of the discoveries. But theses people that live in harmony dont try to find some BS route that is so far fetched it would only be believed if force fed. They look to the fundementals of the faith do not change the disc overy and put it where it needs to be.

We have all come across people in outr lives that have eh mentalinaty the "Im right your wrong im not even going to hear your argument because im right" and thats the kind of people we are facing here. there are some older people in the church in authortative places that have this idea but in all actualiyy the full church copes with science.

20. helenheaven

I really like Stephen Jay Gould's summary of evolution:

"Humans are not the end result of predictable evoluntionary progress, but rather a fortuitous cosmic afterthought, a tiny twig on the enormous arborescent bush of life, which, if replanted from seed, would almost surely not grow this twig again, or perhaps any twig with any property that we would care to call consciousness."

He also comments on the peculiarly American trait of not accepting evolutionary theory...

"The observation that some people cannot even take the first step of recognising evolution only emphasises the particular fear and reluctance this theory raises in us"

(from the exalted state we occupied as as the supposed products of direct creation in God's image)