Technology MMORPGs - What will the future hold?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Cinderloft, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

For those not familiar with the term, MMORPG is Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, such as UltimaOnline, Everquest (Evercrack), and Final Fantasy 11. There are more, but these are to my knowledge the biggest and most innovative. They are extremely addictive, with over millions of people playing them. With the new technology out there today, and the new technology waiting in the wings to be released, what will the future hold? What will the ramifications be?

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Did you ever see the British Comedy Red Dwarf? If you get a chance, see the show "Better than Life". Great Great comedy. Basically they play a game called Better than Life and they had attachments to the brain in which you actually feel like you are there.

To me, that would be the ultimate. A community of online people actually meeting up, talking and having a few drinks together or playing some games etc.

3. Derek

Derek ■֎؜♫■ Staff Member

I know this thread is old, but Cinder asked a good question that can be somewhat answered now, almost 2.5 years later...

Internet Addiction... lost marriages, people dieing from dehydration/malnutrition, people risking their jobs just to be online.

Anyone else have more to add??

4. Iceberg

Iceberg Premium Member

There is an experiment going on in Bombay... A game, where the locations are real locations, the people are real, the stores are real. For example, you can go to a store (in the virtual world), buy something, and have it delivered to your house... It was developed to try and stop people going out of their houses, due to the severe overpopulation. It's working, apparently.

5. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

That's just too Matrix for me. Creepy :puz: