Astronomy Meteors and Swords

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by Mizar, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

This was cool I heard it on the raido and though it was verry intresting. Enjoy.

again ive posted from StarDate before the link for daily Astronomy Info and Facts is www.stardate.org

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

i wonder how they can tell that its from a meteor. Its not like it had a label.

it would be awesome to have a sword like that though, I'd show it off to everyone. :roll:

---pineapple

3. black hawk

black hawk Premium Member

Well, that fact is a very intersting fact. First off, Meteors do fall and i

am sure that they develop potientially from asteroids. As pineapple

asked, how did they know it was from a meteor? Well, since they did

not have detection machines back in those days, I will presume that

they can tell. There was more sand where civilations exhisted back in

the days, and where there is alot of sand, there is not alot of rocks. I

am sure they could tell the difference. Now a days you have

commercial and residential residences, equiveliently, substantially, everywere.....

4. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Youve never seen a crosssection of a meteorite I presume. The metal has a mottled and distinctive look to it because of the melting and cooling it experiences on its trip, quite distinctive even to the naked eye. To a scientist a simple isotope analysis would tell you its a meteorite.

5. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

No i have not. But that crossing pattern would make a sword even cooler! Do you think they have it on Ebay?

---pineapple

6. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I doubt it pineapple. Today meteors are collected in small quanties and sold for personal collections. It would be unlikely to find a Iron Meteor sword for sale.

But you can try.