Members only

Discussion in 'Website Support & Announcements' started by Icewolf, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Is there anywhere where i can post things i only want other members to see, like msn addresses etc

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

3. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Oh I have another Idea, we should start a library/database type thing, a thread a day on basic information, like basic chemistry, physics (look on the lounge tablet and I knew nothing much on atoms but i looked some stuff up and now i'm happy i know something new) this would be a good idea to start implimenting. Maybe even a forum just full of threads of information which are locked (or carefully monitered to keep clutter free) any questions about the information could be posed in the appropriate forum i.e physics this would keep all the information seperate and searchable through ID searches and yet people could still ask questions. Tell me if this sounds dumb but the basic principle is ok i think, it's late/early and my head is swimming with Ideas.

4. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Oh maybe like the brain teasers and games forum with the games forum seperate we could put an information forum in all the forums so questions and information is together

5. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

Yes, its possible, just not on this board where the admins cant change any of the php files.

6. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Well if we initialise it, it would allow many people to learn entire subects with complete ignorance to them, which would be quite good. We could have daily threads with new information, and build up so people could slowly work through together and learn advance things without feeling beyond their depth.

P.S Happy Birthday DreamLandMafia (or Bob) If thats your real name!
    (hope I brightened up your day)

7. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I think this is what we are trying to do right now, althought a little more user friendly. A post is made on a subject, and others can ask questions in that thread and learn. Those threads are put into forums that they fall under. If you feel something in the lounge has turned into a more specific science thread, please u2u one of the captains, myself, or helenheaven with the thread link(and a comment on where you want it to be moved to) and we can move it to the appropriate forum.

---pineapple

8. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining but I do feel that in some forums people who understand a lot on some subjects take it for granted that everybody understands all the basics on the subjects. This can sometimes cause confusion.
    Erm also they're seems to be no set goal in the forums unless someone asks a question on a subject

9. pineappleupsidedown

So what do you think we should do?

If you dont understand something, ASK. There are plenty of times i have done this, and usually the person is not aware it was confusing and are happy to explain themselves.

The goal is to expand our knowledge on all things regarding science, etc. If you learn something, share it! that way when someone needs to get information, they can come here to look for it, and ask questions if they dont understand something.

---pineapple

10. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

You will notice icewolf that A Closer Look has expanded beyond Biology. These threads are ment to bring interest to subjects and piece explain complex sciences. I hope everyone like them.

Ignorance Denied: A Closer Look ...

11. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

But what if your understanding of a subect is so lacking that you don't know what to ask?

12. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

You have gotta start somewhere, I write lists of what I know and dont know. If you really dont know anything about a subject dont ask a question, make a statement. Ie Explain basalt, explain manatees, explain thermonuclear global warfare.

13. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

OK, I've lost the ability to explain my meaning

14. pineappleupsidedown

? Do you mean you can no longer figure out how to explain what you want?

---pineapple

15. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

No I mean I no longer believe I can get it through to you, maybe if i posted it as a question you'd understand.

16. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Take a deep breath, take two steps back and approach the problem from a different angle.

17. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

But i suppose the current system is fine so I'll stop nagging

18. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

But what I'm trying to say, here goes
    Is that in the future the thread will be soo full of stuff that even by searching you may end up with lots of useless information, streamlining is what I'm trying to acheive.

19. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

:) Suggestions are never looked down on here Ice. I really think A Closer Look is what you are trying to say you want. Just wait, we are gonna do A Closer Look in all the forums now: A Closer Look: Atoms, Gravity, Force, Acceleration, Trajectory, etc. Just a few possible Physics topics for example

20. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

erm ok, i hope i didn't offend anyone but i get stressed easily if you don't understand what i try to say.