Relationships Love

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by _Angel_1991, Mar 29, 2005.

1. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

Love is one of the most perplexing and paradoxial emotions that make up human nature. It is at once beautiful and horrible, at times both logical and insane. I believe that love can help this world.
    But what is Love? In this society, "love" is mostly used to describe Eros love, which is the love shown between the husband and wife. "Love" can be used to describe anything from a slight crush to a full blown obsession. What then is love?
    I love my family and my friends. I will die for them. Is this love any less powerful than that of which modern society usually speaks? I am asking you the honorable members of ID to tell me your thoughts and feelings on the topic of love. Do you feel that it is a worthless emotion, only felt by the weak? Or do you believe that it is the most powerful emotion, capable of anything?

2. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Only age will tell what love truly is. My definition/concept of love now could possibility change within the next 20 years. Experience, our ups and down will dictate how powerful or evil love is. Personally I can’t give you a definite answer, but love is indeed a powerful force… that crush can totally turn you into a different beast.

Did you watch Spiderman 2? Dr. Octopus has a very interesting philosophy on Love…

3. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I'm feelin' a little philosophical today.

One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life:
    that word is love.

- Sophocles -

4. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

YES YES YES!!
    Finally, someone who understands!!
    Love is the only thing that can heal this world. I see people every single stupid day trying to heal the world by declaring war. WHAT THE HECK!!!
    I love love.
    :lol:

5. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I love this one as well.

Love bears all things, believes all things,
    hopes all things, endures all things.

- The Bible : 1 Corinthians -

Brought to you by your friendly neighborhood atheist, Bleys;)

6. infinite

infinite Member

love is like a rose,
    beautiful but with thorns.
    Its also like fire, it can burn.

7. TruthBringer

TruthBringer Premium Member

i thought of this philosophy all by myself :pbjtime:
    "when love is wrong, its very wrong.
    and when its right, its only one wrong word away
    from being very wrong again".

Yours, Truth

8. Raideur

Raideur Premium Member

Why people can feel comfortable with something they do not, and do not care to understand confuses me so very much...

I would think people would feel something like that and be deeply disturbed by the lack of reasonable cause and ability to control. To just disregard and go along is submitting to ignorance of your thoughts.

9. pieman

pieman Premium Member

there are a lot of things we don't understand but go along with in life, love is just the finest.

10. Iceberg

Iceberg Premium Member

We do not understand life. Should we feel deeply disturbed by the 'lack of reasonable cause and ability to control'? Yet we disregard this and go along.

11. Raideur

Raideur Premium Member

Perhaps not disturbed, but at least aware of your lack of understanding, and actively in search of an answer, a personal answer if nothing else. To just go along just seems like you are giving up on reasoning it, despite how complex it is.

"Question everything" including love.

12. Ape

Ape Premium Member

Well, now that we understand there is something un-aware and needed to be understood why not try to solve the complex emotion humans call love. I've seen this site try to understand life, is love not a part of life? Is love not one that dramatically impacts a man's life, changing him, or her for better or for worst?

I think the reason most people don't fully understand it is because when they are experiencing it they enjoy the feeling of connection with another person, physically or emotionally, so the parts they don't understand they block away in fear of damaging the relationship and losing the euphoria felt between the two. A primal feeling one would enjoy instilled in a human from birth, from instinct.

So is that feeling of ignorance the part that makes us feel like there is something we don't understand and want to but at the same time is plagues us and grows as a relationship continues?

As I see it love is both beneficial and totally destructive to the mind and body. It can both give feelings of utter joy and excitment and feelings of dout in your partner and yourself. Love is an emotion like anyother the human mind can create. Burst of chemical explosions that can fool and rarely enhance decision making. Love seems to be stronger than other emotions because they directly involve anothers feelings. One that the person experiencing it cares about so it makes the emotion of love that more concious and surreal at the same time. And it's this fascination that intrigues humans. It's this emotion that is considered the most powerful, probably only beaten by jealousy, usually an outcome of love yet none the less, the impact is extremely aparent.

Also I believe love is a magnet for many other emotions. Happiness, excitment, lust, sexual emotions, at times anger, hatred, JEALOUSY, feelings of power and weakness. It's like having the fruit of knowledge before you. You have to take a bite.

13. overrocked

overrocked Premium Member

Love- to live in the now- to stop the expectations for a moment- to enjoy the connection- to drown in the pools of your eyes

pardon me, absence makes the heart grow fonder........

14. woundedhealer

woundedhealer New Member

Everyone experiences different degrees of love and inturprets love differently. It's an individual thing, for certain.

15. woundedhealer

woundedhealer New Member

Life cannot be strictly lived intellectually. This is why we do not understand love. It's not to be analyzed, but felt. I bet every one of us in the forum struggles with that to some degree.