Zoology Looking at getting a dog, need advice...

Discussion in 'Zoology' started by mscbkc070904, Feb 23, 2005.

1. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Ever since I can remember the only dogs I have ever had were German Shepards and Yorkshire Terriers, both breeds were great and awesome. Once me and my wife get our house built we plan to get at least 5-7 dogs. Right now we want to get 2, one for her and one for me...

She likes smaller dogs, and has been partial to the pug-looking like ones.

I want a larger dog, mid to large size with short hair, cause these dogs will be house dogs and like children to us.

I would like to know from any members here that may have dogs similar to what we are looking for, could you please tell me more about your dogs so we have a better feel for what types are best for home and they have to like kids and possibly cats, cause my wife wants 2 cats too.

Thanks.

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Used to have dogs... Personally, I like huskies, malamutes, and golden retrievers the best. I love big dogs.

Although, I did have a dog that was half pekingese and half pug, his name was Rusty. Small dog, but sturdy (so, great for kids), and super smart. Also, had short hair. He died many many years ago, but is still in my heart. Probably died about 20 years ago, but I still think of him often, definately a family member

3. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

If yuo want a good experience w/ dog ownership you must do as animal trainers do. I learned this by watching one of those "how the experts do it" shows. You have to handle the dogs or cats long before they are weaned, almost from birth. Petting and holding them even before they can see can make a big difference in your happiness w/ your relationship to the dog and the dog's relationship to you.

4. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

I love labs personally,

5. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Collies, I have a Black/White border collie, she's very loyal. Border collies are very good with children and are very enjoyable companions.

6. badkitty

badkitty Member

Look for a dog that is most like a cat! Better yet, forget the dog - get a cat. = ) meow...

7. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Fellow lab lover here as well. We have a sweet black lab that just adores the kids - well mannered and easy to train.

B.

8. JcMinJapan

Hey, I just found this....

try it, it is at least fun... lol

http://animal.discovery.com/guides/dogs/selector/selector.jsp

I just used this selector, and it is very good. Actually, it picked the golden retriever, black lab and the malamute all within my top 10...wow...

I did it for smaller dogs and the havenese was chosen. I have not really heard about this dog before, but it would be a great dog for the smaller houses here in Japan. Seems to have the temperment and attitude that I like in a dog. hmmmmmmmm ;)

9. JcMinJapan

Actually, this is probably better suited towards the animal kingdom. I know it is about buying a dog, but it does let people know about dogs that are out there. I will move this to zoology.

10. mscbkc070904

Sometimes its irritating when you spend time on a site looking for something and then you talk to someone and they give you a link to the site you searched but didnt see it. Thanks JC

11. Young William

Young William Premium Member

Alaskan Huskies are great with kids, watchful, and obedient.

12. mscbkc070904

Thank you all for your replies, really appreciative.

13. killak420

killak420 New Member

14. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

wheaton terriers are nice , there fur is actually hair and they do not shed ! good dispositions and all Iv'e met is friendly ones !