Physical Science Law of Physics in general

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by tablet, Mar 31, 2005.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

How many laws of physics are there? Have anyone ever try to break any of those laws? Have any law been broken? What happens when we break a law?

List all the laws you know and let’s have a discussion about it.

2. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

well if you cater to physics is math idea, there are thousands.

3. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

there are too many to list, but the laws don't pply in certain area's like the vicinity of a singulairty. Also there have been many attempts to link ideas like gravity and electromagnetism etc in a Grand Unified theory, but i don't think thye have managed it yet

4. Al Vereco

Al Vereco Member

Icewolf, check out the book mentioned here. I'm reading it now, and it makes a lot of sense.

As for the number of Laws of Physics, some described in the book are:
    The Law of Conservation of Energy
    The Speed-of-Light Limit
    Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation (shown to be incorrect)
    Kepler's 3 Laws of Planetary Motion

I think it's worth mentioning that all scientific Laws are based on observation, etc, and therefore can (as with Gravity) be misunderstood or misapplied. The idea of Laws, though, is that it's inherently impossible to break the Law. If it ever became possible to break any specific Law, it would cease to be a Law (and in fact would never have been a Law in the first place). That is, it would have been called a Law, and would have been thought to be a Law, but actually would never have been so. In which case, it wouldn't be the Law that was broken, but our perception of it as a Law. It's like saying that apples don't exist and making that a Law (for whatever reason). As long as you never see an apple, you believe in that Law. Then when you realise that apples do exist, that Law instantly becomes false and therefore no longer a Law. But of course it never was a true Law.

Laws don't regulate nature, they describe nature as we see it.