Zoology Jurassic Park

Discussion in 'Zoology' started by Icewolf, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

With current breakthroughs in animal cloning, stem cell research and DNA engineering, could jurassic park happen?

It possible could, and would mean great breakthroughs in the study of evolution. We could study long extinct animals, one day we could point out, extinct animals in an afternoon visit to the park.

Whats everyone elses view on this?

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I think it is entirely possible. Right now science is all about pushing the limit. Can we see/break it smaller, travel farther, collect more information, do things ten years ago were considered impossible?

Like Michael Crichton wrote, "Just because we can do something does not necessarily mean that we should"

Will writers like him help prevent the scientists of today think about their consquences on the world? Only time will tell.

Course, i read somewhere that clones are infertile. Is this true? Cause if it is, we obvously couldnt have a takeover like was happening in Jurrasic Park.

---pineapple

3. amantine

amantine Premium Member

If we don't have the DNA of the dinosaur we want to clone, we simply can't clone it. Even if we had a small part, we couldn't simply fill the gaps with DNA of other animals. Therefore, I doubt it will happen within the next 100 years.

4. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Maybe not a dinsaur, but a wooly mammoth, would be entirely possible. I think is was in 1998 or 1999 that scientists found a fully intact frozen wooly mammoth frozen in the Siberian Ice. Now, that would be a cool clone!

5. JcMinJapan

helen will post soon

helen: oh, ha ha, smarty pants

6. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Jurassic park is a very good example of a book that was far better than the movie. The whole idea of chaos theory was not properly explored in the movie.

I remember when it came out in NZ it was adults only (ha ha)

I am interested in chaos theory....we see it every day but we don't realise it....

Where would woolly mamoths live if we re introduced them ? Part of the reason I think that so many of us "healthy" specimens are susceptible to disease (cancer primarily) is that we are breeding out of us our bad genes, and making us re produce when we shouldn't.....no more survival of the fittest but survival of those on drugs....

7. JcMinJapan

Well, the Mammoths would have to live in Sibera or northern alaska/Canada. They would need to have a very cold climate. But, It would be cool, but cruel for the animal itself. We really would not know how to take care of such a beast.

8. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Stephen Gould

Anyone read any Stephen Gould ?

My favourite is "Dinosaur in a Haystack" (Random House 1996)

A great way to to explore natural history, I highly recommend it. Funny and informative, worth a purchase to re read.

9. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Splice this DNA into modern elephants maybe ?

I tried to get it to show, but I think because is is using PHP to upload the photo. I went to the site directly to download it and host it for you, but I am unable to view the picture. So, I am unable to same it. I will try it on another machine tomorrow.

10. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

why won't that image post ?

11. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Yes clones are infertile,and I have a questions,
    I read somewhere that all the DNA in you body can be found in a single cell and that how reproduction works, half your DNA in one cell with half the DNA of someone else, if this is true wouldn't we only need to find a single dinosaur cell?

Also when I said Jurassic Park it was just an example what about animals which are just extinct in the past 300 years due to over hunting, couldn't this be a way to undo OUR mistake.

and animals like the Sib Tiger which are currently being hunted to extintion this would do wonders for there number, problem if clones are infertile though.

12. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Ahem! please don't bring it here in Canada. I don't want to be eaten by one of those!!

Todd, you copied the wrong one. For image to display on forum, copy the first URL. Copying the right url help save bandwidth.

13. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

i have to read the book ( jurrassic park ) for school in january. If the book was better than the movie then its goign to be a killer book because the movie was one of my favorite movies ever.

but the inatial subject i think that it is possible.
    but thats not the point someone quoted chriton i am going to quote Asimov

"Its possible but is it pratical?"

14. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

Sorry to resurrect a thread from a couple of weeks ago, but I just discovered these boards and dinosaurs are one of my favorite topics so I couldn't resist jumping in. ;) I think it would be incredibly fascinating to study them “in life,” but in practice I think there are too many things working against it.
    Even if you assume that a way was found to isolate dinosaur DNA and successfully create an embryo, it’s extremely unlikely that the animal would have any chance of survival. Studies have shown that the oxygen content of the Mesozoic atmosphere was about 25-28%, and I believe today’s is 20 or 21%, which would create extreme breathing complications.
    Also, other ecological conditions have been evolving for 65 million years since the most recent dinosaur extinctions (slightly off topic, but most of the dinos featured in “Jurassic” Park were actually Cretaceous species, appearing tens of millions of years after the Jurassic period ended). A dinosaur cloned from ancient DNA would most likely have no resistance to modern parasites and micro-organisms, leaving it very vulnerable to countless diseases. Its gut microbes and other digestive enzymes might not be able to handle modern food sources, either.
    It’s a little disheartening that even if gigantic advances were made in reconstructing the DNA, we’d still be left with disease-ridden animals unable to breathe or eat correctly...
    I haven’t read “Jurassic Park” (it’s on my neverending “to read” list, lol), so I’m not sure how much Crichton dealt with those things in the book, sorry if I just rambled about a bunch of things you already knew...I think lysine dependency was touched on in the movie, but it's been years since I saw it so I can't remember exactly.

I haven’t read “Dinosaur in a Haystack,” but I’ve read several of Gould’s other books and am a huge fan. (My favorite so far is "Bully for Brontosaurus"). It seems like he could start talking about anything, somehow relate it to natural history/evolution, and make it fascinating in the process.:up:

15. JcMinJapan

I am wondering also of the diseases and parasites that the animal may get as well. If we bring back the animal correctly, their parasite in that era will be brought back as well. what would happen if a human got one of those parasites? Have we become immune to them? I would think probably todays atmosphere would affect the parasite and possibly transform it into something even more dangerous possibly. Although I would personally like to SEE it, I do feel that the poor beast would not survive and there is not too much knowledge that we can gain.

16. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

I hadn't thought about the flip side of the parasite issue, it's a really good point, that could be catastrophic for humans and other modern animals...

On a lighter note, can you imagine what a field day Steve Irwin would have if dinosaurs were "brought back"? I can hear the ecstatic "CROIKEY MATES" now...:moon:

17. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Just dont breed velocoraptors! Please for the love of all that is dear. Ya know if you arent quite sure what is gonna happen, clone a saurapod or a nice lovable dino, not the carnivores.

18. Bloodlust

Bloodlust New Member

thats what people want a t-rex walking thru ther backyard:bash:

19. instar

instar New Member

Even if you could create a mammoth, vegetation might be different to what it was eating 10-20 thousand years ago. ???

20. infinite

infinite Member

well, its possible, i think there was talks about recreating lost creatures from this planet that have died out. But i think it would prove to be a bad idea, bringing back creatures that died thousands of years ago.