News @ ID Judge Denies Woman Divorce Due To Pregnancy

Discussion in 'News @ ID' started by Bleys, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

A Spokane Washington judge has "revoked" a divorce that was granted to an abused woman for failing to disclose that she was pregnant at the time. The woman acknowledges her failure to mention the pregnancy but states that her former husband is not the father of her child.

How does the fact of whether this child is born in or out of wedlock make the father any less responsible financially, especially when it appears that someone else is the father?

IMO in requiring this woman to remain married to an abusive spouse is a violation of her civil rights. What is the state thinking?

B.

Judge revokes Divorce

2. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

THATS BS! Especially if he wants out of the marriage as well, not to mention, if she was pregnant and they were still in cohabitation, doesnt that automatically rule, if the child is the husbands, adultery? I tell you this, the judges ruling well didnt give him/her much creditation with the courts, the state and overall, really makes the state legislation look like crap.

3. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

She should in no way be required to stay married based on the fact that she's pregnant. It's ridiculous. What the judge is doing is taking away her autonomy. If she wants to leave the marriage she should be able to do so.

Why on earth would anyone make a pregnant woman stay married to a man she claims to be abusive???

:shk:

4. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I've said it before to Bleys in chat , women can rule the world if they stop giving us sons who grow uo to impose their will on their mothers , sisters and wives .

just shut us off and see what happens !

5. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I Japan, a woman cannot get re-married until 6 months after her divorce. A guy can get married that afternoon.

But, divorce in Japan is simple. As long as both parties agree to the terms, it is only a matter of both signing the papers and one person taking them to the Ward (City) Office.

It is that simple...... Yes, even if you have kids, as long as you agree, it takes 30 seconds to get a divorce. So, although she could not re-marry till 6 months later, she could get the divorce with no problems over here.

Not really relavant to the story, but it is amazing at the procedural differences between locations.

6. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

That seems to me to be a faulty premise that can only draw faulty conclusions. Have you some empirical evidence ? Personal observation or personal experience ?