History January 6th

Discussion in 'History' started by JcMinJapan, Jan 6, 2005.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

1066 - King Harald of England crowned

1099 - Henry V crowned German king

1352 - French king Jean II introduces Order of the Star

1453 - Emperor Frederik III becomes archduke of Austria

1535 - City of Lima Peru founded by Francisco Pizarro

1681 - 1st recorded boxing match (Duke of Albemarle's butler vs his butcher)

1690 - Emperor Leopold's son Jozef chosen Roman Catholic king

1784 - Turkey and Russia sign treaty in Constantinople

1838 - Samuel Morse made 1st public demonstration of telegraph

1857 - Patent for reducing zinc ore granted to Samuel Wetherill, Penn

1898 - 1st telephone message from a submerged submarine, by Simon Lake

1912 - New Mexico becomes 47th state

1914 - Stock brokerage firm of Merrill Lynch founded

1929 - Alexander I establishes a royal dictatorship in Yugoslavia

1930 - 1st diesel engine automobile trip (in a Packard sedan) completed

1938 - Bronze memorial statue of Henry Hudson erected in Bronx

1942 - 1st around world flight (Pan Am "Pacific Clipper")

1958 - Bollingen Prize for poetry awarded to ee cummings

1958 - Gibson patents Flying V Guitar

1964 - Rolling Stones' 1st tour as headline act (with Ronettes)

1968 - Surveyor 7 (last of series) launched by US for soft-landing on Moon

1971 - Berkeley chemists announces 1st synthetic growth hormones

1973 - "Schoolhouse Rock," premieres on ABC-TV with Multiplication Rock

1984 - Challenger moves to Vandenberg AFB for mating of STS 41 B mission

1986 - STS 61-C scrubbed at T-31sec because of liquid oxygen valve problem

1987 - Astronomers at U of Calif see 1st sight of birth of a galaxy

1993 - Jean Mueller discovers comet Mueller/1993a

1994 - Ice skater Nancy Kerrigan is attacked by Tonya Harding's bodyguard

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Bump.. since my powers have been stripped.. lol

3. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

1929 - Alexander I establishes a royal dictatorship in Yugoslavia

I believe Alexander was the long distance bloodline relative of Alexander the Great, have to check on that.

I am incorrect by a long shot. Apologies

4. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

King Alexander I

King Alexander I, King of Yugoslavia, was the second son of King Peter I and Princess Zorka, he was born in Cetinje Montenegro 16 December 1888. His Godfather was the Russian Tsar Nikola II. He spent his childhood in Montenegro, and was educated in Geneva. He continued his schooling at the Military School in St. Petersburg Russia, and then in Belgrade, after King Peter I he ascended the Serbian throne.

The twist of fate in the life of young Prince Alexander occurred in 1909, when his elder brother, Prince Djordje renounced the throne and as the Crown Prince he started reorganizing the army, preparing for the ultimate battle against the Ottomans.

In the first Balkan War in 1912, as commander of the First Army, Crown Prince Alexander fought victorious battles in Kumanovo and Bitola, and later in 1913, during the second Balkan War, the battle in Bregalnica. He was the supreme commander of the Serbian army in World War I at the Cer and Kolubara battles in 1914, when the Serbian troops were victorious against the Austro-Hungarian army. Attacked for the second time by Germany and Bulgaria, Serbia was defeated in 1915. The Serbian army with the aged King Peter I and Crown Prince Alexander suffered many losses and withdrew through Albania to Corfu, where it was reorganized. When King Peter I trnaferred his duties owing to ill health on 11 June 1916, Crown Prince Alexander became the Regent. After the army was regrouped and reinforced, it had a glorious victory at the Thessalonica Frontline, at Kajmakcalan. The Serbian army carried out the final operations of the Thessalonica breakthrough in the autumn of 1918, under the supreme command of the Regent Alexander, with superb commanding officers such as Marshals Zivojin Misic, Stepa Stepanovic and Peter Bojovic.

His military success was followed by his statesman’s accomplishments. After the decree of the National Assembly and the National Council in Zagreb, Regent Alexander proclaimed the unification of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenians into a single nation on 1 December 1918. This act completed the dream of his father and grandfather - to unify all Southern Slavs in one nation.

When King Peter I died on 16 August 1921, Regent Alexander became the King of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenians. In 1922 he married Princess Maria of Romania. They had three sons – Crown Prince Peter, Princes Tomislav and Andrew.

Owing to internal politics, the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenians (SCS) faced crisis caused by severe conflicts between different political parties and nations. Due to the chaotic situation in the country King Alexander I suspended the Constitution in 1929, changed the name of the state to Yugoslavia and instead of the inherited historical regions reorganized the state administration by establishing nine “banovinas” (provinces). When the King estimated that the political turmoil in the country had calmed down he proclaimed a new Constitution in 1931 (the so called “Octroyed Constitution”). The King firmly believed that the state crisis would be permanently resolved only when the Yugoslav nation was established, King Alexander I tried to achieve that goal by implementing a policy “Yugoslav integralism”, which eventually failed.

In foreign policy the King worked intensively on making defensive alliances against the forces that aimed at the revision of the Versailles Peace Treaty. The King’s first achievement was the “Small Entente” proclaimed in 1921 (the Kingdom of Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia, Romania and the Czech Republic). The alliance with France was established in 1927, and the one including Yugoslavia, Romania, Turkey and Greece in 1934.

During a visit to France, where the King travelled to strengthen the defensive alliance against #@!&% Germany, King Alexander I was assassinated in Marseille on 9 October 1934 along with the French Foreign Minister Louis Barthou. The King’s death deeply moved the whole Yugoslavia, and hundreds of thousands of people paid their last respect to him all along the way to Oplenac, where he was buried in the Memorial Church of St. George, built by King Peter I. The National Parliament and the Senate of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia named him the King Alexander I the Unifier