Physical Science Is it possible to make bullets go off course?

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by Ape, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Ape

Ape Premium Member

I've always wondered if it was possible to have some sort of portable device that if say the president was wearing it could make bullets go off course.
    I'm no good with magnets and things of that sort but you know how the same sides of two magnets don't attract and magnets stick to metal what if effect # 1 would work on metal or the steel and lead and such in bullets? Just curious...........

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:bouncy:

I believe the velocity of a bullet wouldn't allow the time to prevent a change to its trajectory from an external source. (I'm thinking 1000 feet per second) Also you figure if you could come up with some way to deflect it - would you do more damage sending the bullet into others or put a bad shot right on target?

The only group I think who have to worry about a change in trajectory are snipers and for them it is natural forces. You figure they compensate for wind and reduced velocity depending on how far away the target is - but who would ever see them coming.

Interesting question - anyone else?

3. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

I'm sure there is...whenever I'm shooting at somthing the bullets go way off course...must be an explanation somewhere!

4. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

A very interesting idea but A lot of variables to deal with.
    Not only what Bleys mentioned above but also the different materials the projectiles are made of.
    Softer metals are mostly used such as copper and brass alloy's or the traditional lead.
    Mercurie and uranium tipped bullets are also used to create a much larger 'spread' at impact.
    Varying projectile size, velocity and materials make this a very complex problem I fear.
    Then there's the fact that someone will find a solution to your solution.
    Then again sometimes the best solution to complex problems are the simple one's.
    Wouldn't it be great if we just stopped making bullets.

5. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

i saw a great bumper sticker the other day : " wouldn't it be great if our schools had all the money they need and the government had to hold a bake sale to buy a bommer ? "

6. Ape

Ape Premium Member

well i got the idea from the game Metal Gear Solid 2 (all about consiracies) in the game this one lady called fortune is never shot when the navy seals r shotting her with M4's they show the trail of the shots and they curve off course (pretty cool lookin) later on another guy (Revolver) does the same thing and he shows you this thing like a small metal box attached to his belt.

7. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

if this was possible to have gear like gear that, what would be the purpose of guns, wars, etc. You wont accomplish anything as well as hit what you intend to shoot...who knows, a way to make peace....wait just had a thought, nope back to hand to hand combat, sorry war will still exist.

8. Young William

Young William Premium Member

9. tablet

tablet Premium Member

well i got the idea from the game Metal Gear Solid 2
    I didn't bother replying until you bring that up. :) It was a great game. I didn't play it but watched someone played. The ending was very thoughtful and the story were deeeep. It talks about DNA, Gene and Nuclear weapon. This quote from the game is what makes you really think and wonder...

This game has alot of truth to it and I personally believe "Magento" suit is possible. I might be insane for saying this... :D

"There's no such thing as miracles or the supernatural, only cutting-edge technology" -- Revolver Ocelot

10. Ape

Ape Premium Member

I was actually going to add that quote, you beat me to it.

11. Ape

Ape Premium Member

But if you think about it say you bring someone from the say the 1600s everything would seem like a miracle or supernatural we have just grown acustom to it, and take it for granted.

12. blueknight

blueknight New Member

I would have to say YES, depending on whom you are shooting at. My ex-wife, for example is so scary that I think even a bullet would run the other way!

13. Ape

Ape Premium Member

LOL! :lol:

14. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

Because of the danger of causing the bullet to fly off and hit someone else, you would need to slow the bullet down but then cause it to stick to you. Like the front of the suit is covered in powerful magnets that repel and the back side is covered with powerful magnets attracting the bullet. That way the bullet would push away from you but then charge toward you going at a harmless speed.

15. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

waxy, then you would be crushed between the two magnets, if the front was repeling and the back attracting.

---Pineapple

16. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Yeah, I do not think it would be possibly to just suck a bullet in and freeze it in mid-air. But, I do think that it would be possible to reroute a bullets trajectory. Now, you would have to have something of a force field in order to do that. The field would have to allow for ceramic, plastic, or even metal to be stopped. A stasis field would work if it were technically possible.......

So, magnets would be out. When I first started writing this, I was thinking of two magnets with the same poles pushing towards each other. This would mage a stong repelling magnetic force. For magnets it works great at repelling them. But, still metal is attracted to either polarity of a magnet and also other materials pass through unafftected. I just tried with some magnets... ha ha... So, unless the person is firing magnetic bullets with the right polarity, you will be toast... ha ha

You could use high powered lasers to automatically get rid of the bullet as it passed through the beam, but I would say that it is impractical if anything else passed through it would be vaporized as well... NO SHAKING HANDS.... ha ha

So, I have no answer, but basically you would need something that can repel objects by a force alone.... Nothing in existance from what I know....

17. Ape

Ape Premium Member

Is there anyother way anyone sees possible to make bullets use-less?

18. Ape

Ape Premium Member

I mean people are going to use then no matter what some law or somebody says I mean technology wise.

19. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

I think, due to what I know, it is possible to not be in line for a bullet if it is fired in your direction, or your possible direction.

I have listened to people say that they had an eerie feeling the day of a mass murder and didn't go to school or work.

In my own experience, I, as a Forward Observer, was taken off the hill a short while before it was accidently shelled by infantry mortars. One killed, another four injured.

Another time, I was standing in a spot as a live fire exercise was taking place out in the boonies and as shrapnel was whistling past my ears and ricocheting(which is the french word, I believe, for duck) off the rock behind me, I didn't feel the need then to put my face in the dirt. Pieces of metal the size of my thumb were landing all around, but none hit me.

The funny part was my sargeant was cowering in the dirt and yelling for everyone else to get down, but I didn't feel the need. For me, I was right.