Physical Science Ion Propulsion Engine

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by junior_smith, Sep 27, 2004.

1. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

2. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Yes well anything that moves in space will continue to travel at a constant speed until an unbalanced force intervenes due to Newtons law of motion.

[edit, fixed the physics of what I said]

3. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Well, it space itself the thing that does not allow things to go above the speed of light? I guess my question is.... Is space something or nothing? Or is nothing something or is nothing actually nothing. hmmm....

4. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I found somewhere on the nasa site the complete report of the Ion Engine on Deep Space One.
    it went into the physics and everything i spent an houre reading it and wasnt even a 6th finnished if i find it ill post teh link.

5. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Keeping in mind that an object approaching the speed of light actually gets heavier (proven in partical accelerators) then it will need a stronger and stronger "push" to continue to speed things up . Also , as an object approaches the speed of light its length gets shorter until its mass is infinite and its length would be nothing .

I keep picturing a bunch of really large but skinny pancakes zooming around ...

There would be a threshold speed for this engine , it will continue to accelerate until either A : its feul is used up or B : its mass increases enough to cause an equilibrium between the energy of the accelerated ions and the increase in weight . Then it just makes more sense to coast rather than waste any more feul .

You would need an infinite amount of energy to cause an infinite weight to reach light speed .

Just my take on current physics ..... could be proved wrong tomorrow....

6. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Time dilation is also a major problem in this, the faster you go, the slower time goes until, (I'm guessing) it stops alltogether. But! If light is made of photons, and photons have mass, then how can light itself travel at the speed of light? And if this is due to duality, could electron waves travel at this speed?

- Ice -

7. Iceberg

Iceberg Premium Member

So what if you went so fast time stopped, (ignoring all other factors). And you went faster? Would time go backwards?

8. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

well I would assume that you would neeed some amount of time to go faster, so if time stopped you'd be unable to go faster.

- Ice -

9. sab

sab Premium Member

well according to newton, in an ion engine, or any engine for that matter. the forward velocity will never exceed the thrust velocity of the engine.

if the ions are leaving the engine at .8 c then the engine will never excede .8 c.

the only way to exceed the speed of light is to push aginst time/space faster than the speed of light.

and since the speed of light is constant at all velocities, then it is impossible to exceed the speed of light.

this does not rule out folding space or worm holes for traveling great distances.