Metaphysics Information Displacement

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by CyberKat6, Mar 4, 2005.

1. CyberKat6

CyberKat6 New Member

Hi,

Has anyone ever wondered this? Everyone has had information in one way or another that they have forgotten, and never remembered. Sometimes a person doesn't even remember that he/she ever had the information to begin with.

Sometimes a person, when being reminded by either by something someone else says, or seeing something, will suddenly remember a thought, a lesson, whatever. Why does that particular thing another person just said, or that picture or song suddenly bring it back?

BTW, I hope you know what I mean when I say "information". I mean anything and everything that you have ever done, said, learned in school, studied about for a test, been told by another, every joke you have heard, every TV show you have watched, every book you have read, etc.... get the idea?

O.K., so my question is: obviously we don't remember all or even most of those things. But why? Where does the information go when it is no longer useful and we forgert. Or sometimes, it will be useful at a later date, when we ought to be able to draw on it.

Does it just go out through your ears or something? I doubt it. I wonder if it stayes stored forever somewhere in the 90% part of the brain which is said to be not curently used by humans. Maybe it is being used, as a giant storage area. With tons of files, current, archives, filed by date? subject? importance?

It was a wierd thought that I had been wondereing about.

Anyone else have any ideas on the subject?:p

2. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

Right into the "Great Central Computer Of The Universe".

I believe you forget nothing and if you were to remove the blockages you could easily remember it all.

3. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

You would be surprised what your mind has and holds within it. A method, only to be done by prescribed persons, is hypnosis. There the person conducting it, usually a pyschologist can unlock those areas of information who forget. And one way to remember them, is usually if the doctor lets you discuss them as of course they record it and then tells you to remember them when they wake you up.

Now if you can remember what you knew before you went in this session compared to what you know now, you would realize you know more about things than you thought or forgot. Usually there are triggers that fire in your mind...for example

Someone tells you a joke 10 yrs ago but you have forgotten it thru time, cause you never repeated the joke and havent heard it since. Then someone goes to tell you the joke and a light goes off...you know you have heard it before and somewhat remember how it goes and what the punchline is. Thats a trigger...into remembering.

One way to remember information I have learned to do is read it or hear it, share it, several times and it sort of stick in your mind...later on you wont remember it word for word, but the gist of information that you obtained. Some people have a gift of photographic memory where they read something and remember it for yrs. I have that ability with numbers, not as good as I use to be, but I use to be called a walking rolodex, cause I could remember phone extensions. As well as other things I remembered, one cause I worked with sequence numbers all the time in the Marines. I could remember geo coordinates, times, pace counts, map data, ranges, etc. I dont know how I had that ability but I did and i used it for the greater good and my own benefit. I use to amaze people.

There was one deployment that I was on, that our intel section was just awesome. I had the photographic memory for numbers, my Captain had a photographic memory for things he read, images, historical data, movements of personnel and equipment as far back as 3 months, another Sgt that had the ability to remember topographical map data, he said he could look at a map and somehow develop a 3D image in his head, he was good. Together we were awesome. And none of us knew each other til that deployment.

Well theres my thoughts.

4. invader_chris

invader_chris Member

It remains locked up in your mind until you find a "key."

5. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

There's an ad on TV here at the moment, ( and funnily enough I can't remember what it is advertising, beer I think ???) but, the ad shows a shot inside a guy's brain, with people pulling out files...and they find his memory bank is full. So they pick out a file "this one's been here a long time" and throw it away to make room to remember the product.

The next shot is of him having no idea who his girlfriend is...

I would think information dies with cells after a while, but then again people remember extraordinary things under hypnosis so I guess all information is filed away somewhere!

6. Ape

Ape Premium Member

My problem is when I learn things after a while I forget were and how I learned it but remember the lesson. I hate it though I remeber the lesson though not the experience! :puz:

7. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Speak of the devil, just released today

How Much Can Your Mind Keep Track Of?
    Cooking shows on TV usually give a Web address where you can find, read, and print out the recipe of the dish created on that day’s show. The reason is obvious: It’s too hard to just follow along with what the chef is doing, let alone remember it all. There are too many directions and ingredients — too many variables and steps in the process to keep track of quickly.

New research shows why it doesn’t take much for a new problem or an unfamiliar task to tax our thinking. According to University of Queensland cognitive science researchers Graeme S. Halford, Rosemary Baker, Julie E. McCredden and John D. Bain of Griffith University, the number of individual variables we can mentally handle while trying to solve a problem (like baking a lemon meringue pie) is relatively small: Four variables are difficult; five are nearly impossible.

Their report, "How Many Variables Can Humans Process?" is published in the January 2005 issue of Psychological Science, a journal of the American Psychological Society.

It’s difficult to measure the limits of processing capacity because most people automatically use problem solving skills to break down large complex problems into small, manageable "chunks." A baker, for example, will treat "cream butter, sugar and egg together" as a single chunk — a single step in the process — rather than thinking of each ingredient separately. Likewise she won’t think, "break egg one into bowl, break egg two into bowl." She’ll just think, "add all of the eggs."

To keep test subjects from breaking down problems into bite-size chunks, researchers needed to create problems that they weren’t familiar with. In their experiment, 30 academics were presented with incomplete verbal descriptions of statistical interactions between fictitious variables, with an accompanying set of graphs that represented the interactions. The interactions varied in complexity — involving as few as two variables up to as many as five. The participants were timed as they attempted to complete the given sentences to correctly describe the interactions the graphs were showing. After each problem, they also indicated how confident they were of their solutions.

The researchers found that, as the problems got more complex, participants performed less well and were less confident. They were significantly less able to accurately solve the problems involving four-way interactions than the ones involving three-way interactions, and they were (not surprisingly) less confident of their solutions. And five-way interactions? Forget it. Their performance was no better than chance.

After the four- and five-way interactions, participants said things like, "I kept losing information," and "I just lost track."

Halford et al concluded from these results that people — academics accustomed to interpreting the type of data used in the experiment problems — cannot process more than four variables at a time. Recognizing these human limitations can make a difference when designing high-stress work environments—such as air-traffic control centers—where employees must keep in mind several variables all at once.

Source: www.psychologicalscience.org

8. Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick Member

Read a phycology book on memory

displacement
    trace decay
    repression
    regression
    interference

this are the things you wana look into