News @ ID In Texas, man gets 4 mos. for killing wife, 15 yrs for wounding man

Discussion in 'News @ ID' started by Bleys, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

You know, I've never considered myself a feminist - but it is garbage like this that makes me wonder if I need to reevaluate my politics.

How could a jury recommend probation for the murder of his wife when he shot her multiple times? Is this some kind of religious justification since she was sleeping around? Not to mention that the attempted murder of the boyfriend got him 15 years.

Where is the justice for this woman?

B.
    Link

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Bleys, I understand exactly what you are saying and agree 100%. Where is the justice for this woman? Well, it is in the same place as the jsutice for these 5 defenseless kids!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6794098/
    I am sorry, but legal insanity does not work for me in this case! This insanity thing is being used way too much! STOP THE INSANITY!!!!! literally! It should only be used in very specific cases.

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by JcMinJapan]

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by JcMinJapan]

3. oortpower

oortpower Member

It's the US it doesn't have to make sense.

4. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

It's not just the US - it seems the whole world from time to time takes a break from common sense. A week or so ago I was complaining about mandatory sentencing guidelines thinking that each person should be judged on the individual facts and circumstances of each case.

Now I'm not so sure. It seems like people bring too much of their own personal baggage with them in jury deliberations and it taints the decision and sentencing recommendations.

B.

5. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

It does... they just want the juries to feel sorry for them. They get any doctor that agrees with them to try and make everything look like it was not their fault. This happens in almost every case now.

6. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

Sickening the justice system, not only the U.S but wordwide.
    What about all the large companies freely commiting crimes worldwide, pollution, corruption.
    I'm egerly waiting for Americas first woman president, wouldn't that be great.
    NZ is on the right track, but yeah alright I'm alittle bit biased. hee hee

7. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Its like if you commit a crime you are sure to get off somehow or get reduction somewhere. And those who are victims dotn really get any justice. I know this for a fact. We have a woman who was charged with B/E, theft of money, jewelry, and other various articles, later after posted bail hit and run on a friend, posted bail again, told not to leave the state til trial, took off to Tx, was retrieved, placed in jail due to flight risk and somehow got released again right now. We cant find her at all. There are other crimes she comitted, but rather not discuss it, but she is a threat period and she walks, yet we cant get the justice of having her put in jail long enough for us to go to trial. Now when we do find her we are pushing to have the trial commence immediately. Its BS and no one cares to keep her behind bars. Lets just say she has done enough damage that she will will only be free when she comes out of jail in a pinewood box.

Makes me have no faith in the justice system at all.

8. Subdued

Subdued Emotional Wreckage Premium Member

I dare to disagree. The problem is not of a worldwide range.
    The article reported the man "pled guilty". The short term in prison was most probably part of his plea bargain. Plea bargaining isn't practiced in most European countries, so this particular flaw is typical, i think, only for the American justice system.

9. wellwhatnow

wellwhatnow New Member

I can understand "sudden passion" but this case certainly does scream out injustice. On the surface it says that killing a women just isn't as serious as killing a man. I personally believe that if you have no more control over yourself than to succumb to such "sudden passion" then you will at some point become a danger to others again. This calls for some serious rehab instead of a light sentence.

I think that if you kill your children, or any child for that matter, you shouldn't have to try to convince the court that you are insane. The fact that you are insane is obvious isn't it?

However, I don't think that you can say, because I am insane, I am not responsible for my actions. First of all, if you are that insane, weren't there some sort of warnings that you were insane before you got to the point that you killed? Couldn't a person tell that they were nuts before they actually drowned the last of 5 children?

Second, if you are that insane and just couldn't tell, the likeliness of you being 100% cured and becoming a valuable member of society is so slim that execution would probably be the most expedient way to deal with you.

So, if a person "proves" that they are 100% violent, evil nuts then we should just rid society of them. I know that if I were ever that crazy and that dangerous I would be better off dead. I think the insanity plea should therefore only come into play in extreme cases and should often lead to execution, not excuses.

[Edited on 2-16-2005 by wellwhatnow]

10. Subdued

Subdued Emotional Wreckage Premium Member

What it is actually about is that in the first case the man agreed to enter into a plea bargain. The plea bargaining process includes the option of mild treatement. In practice, this means that you might get 1/3, 1/4, 1/7 or even less for what you've done. In the second case, the man didn't make a plea bargain. Perhaps he wasn't even offered one. They put him in jail for 15 years. This is a very severe treatment just for wounding someone, and i believe that the judge gave such a rough sentence, because he took into consideration the murder.

• Like Like x 1
  11. so indirectly, he still got punished for killing the wife. Subdued, you're are so right about Plea Bargaining. It's the main reason 90-95% of most defendants don't get a fair trial per 6th amendment. Plea Bargaining is a great argument in the halls of justice these days. What to do about it, etc?

I think Brian Nichols case will be interesting for some of the reasons in this thread. I've said under Legal forum, that he should plead insane in the membrane.

peace and respect to all,
    OG

"I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND PEPLACE IT WITH MY OWN"