Lit & The Arts Ignorance is Bliss

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by Young William, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Young William

Young William Premium Member

I reside in the Hampton Roads community which comprises an area streching from Williamsburg, VA to Virginia Beach. Growing up in the snowy blue-collar town of Buffalo, NY, I was subjected to "Old-World" thinking from a very young age.
    The Air Force allowed me to "expand my horizons," however, it exposed me to something that I could not understand.
    Growing up in Buffalo, I was expected to work hard, respect my elders, and above all surpass the previous generations. Being stationed "Down South" was very mind-bending at first. The hot climate left little room for compromise and most seemed to search for "a break."
    While still living here as I can't stand the thought of returning to "Barfalo," my attention focuses around completion of my Doctorate in Psychological Counseling with a Clinical application.
    Observing the locals disobey and ignore are something of a norm, I know that I will be here only temporarily, however, I pose this question to all.
    Why is ignorance bliss? Is there a climactic applicative reason, or is history to blame?

2. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

I always thought the saying originated because, what you don't know won't hurt you...

ie the phrase " he was blissfully unaware..."

Funnily enough when I was about 18 I hitched around NZ and some of Australia with a friend, we somehow adopted "Ig is bliss" as our motto when getting into dodgy situations. We would shrug our shoulders, murmur Ig is Bliss and off we would go. Pretty blase attitude and looking back, pretty stupid!

3. Young William

Young William Premium Member

Not stupid at all. Experiental factors weigh heavily.

4. alternateheaven

alternateheaven New Member

I think the whole key to the "Ignorance is Bliss" concept is simplicity. It takes no effort to remain dumb, uninformed, and narrow-minded. Its far easier to not read or think for yourself and just follow along with the hordes who think along the same dull lines. If you dont have drive and aspirations to do more than just get by you dont want to spend time reading or learning about things to open your mind beyond the space directly infront of your nose.

5. Ape

Ape Premium Member

Very well said Alternateheven. People don't want to open the mind. That's what sucks about living here, everyone around me is ignorant. I got to get out of PA.

6. marg6043

marg6043 Premium Member

The term "Ignorance is a bliss" apply to us in many ways that we can imagine.

Until we learn about and around us the ignorance turn into experiences and knowledge and our eyes gets open.

Until then we all have been ignorant in one way or another.