Earth Science Iceberg in Antartica

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Hazlenuttt, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Hazlenuttt

Hazlenuttt New Member

I have been hearing news on the iceberg that will soon hit an important part of Antartica. I was wondering if any of you researchers out there can give me more information. First I here that it is beneficial, second I hear it can be catostrophic.... I want to know the truth... Is this a product of global warming..or something that would naturally occur otherwise..Thanks..:wow:

2. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

3. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

you wouldn't know it's designation would you. The last one I heard about was 15a and 15b.

4. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

It's designation is as I suggested, B 15 A

Off the Amery Ice Shelf, is a solitary iceberg called B-15D. Like B-15A, this iceberg was originally part of the massive B-15 iceberg that broke off the Ross Ice Shelf back in April 2000 and subsequently broke up into multiple pieces.

5. bodebliss

I know I've checked on these things from time to time and there is always the chance one of these Rhode Island size chunks could break free and cause havoc w/ the shipping lanes. Last I heard it was still grounded on the coast. I have seen that once in open waters the navies of the free world will move hundred mile chunks to warmer waters.

6. bodebliss

7. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

If these icebergs are such a threat to be, why dont they just hit them charges and destroy them? I know its huge, but, look at it this way, we are trying to get rid of nukes, thats one way by doing it under water and detonating them.

2 problems resolved at once.