I have an idea that may be good or bad

Discussion in 'Website Support & Announcements' started by ilovepizza, Sep 30, 2004.

1. ilovepizza

ilovepizza Premium Member

The forum staff on this board are doing a great job. I would not change a thing on the board. Well I might make a pizza forum :p:p:p Back to the point. I know the forum staff vote on important decisions that have to do with the board. What if the members got a collective vote when there is talk about adding something new or changing something. It worked out well with voting to let the mods participate in the game, so I think it would work well voting for other stuff. Lets say there was talk in that secret decision making forum about adding a forum about pizza. All the forum staff would vote like normal. Non forum staff who are members would vote yes or no. If the majority of the members voted yes, then that would be one more vote for yes. If the majority of the members voted no, then that would be one more vote for no. While the main goal of the website is to keep up the quality, it is also a good idea to keep the members happy.

The members should only be able to vote on certain things. Banning members, global ignore, warnings, and other such stuff should be left to the forum staff. Stuff that benifits the members is what members should be allowed to vote on.

I know most of the forum staff will not like this idea, but I just thought I would share it incase they happened to like it.

2. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

i like this idea it is kinda like a republic, we vote and the chose 4 decide. i reall like this idea, keep up the good work pizza. actually your name gives me an idea for dinner.

3. ilovepizza

I will keep coming up with as many great ideas as I can.

4. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I have one, but at the moment it's not needed. But here nontheless.

Let's say I created a thread, a resource thread. In this thread (the main one) is mine. There I will say what I have to say and post some link for you to go to and learn. Sometime I might be away and can't update the thread. So... I post a reply inside the thread that I created and check the "Allow Edit" so that anyone can edit that replay and post their link there. When I come back, I just organize and put comment that describe the site.

"Allow Edit" <-- allows anyone to edit your post.

and to avoid trouble maker, only those that have over 100 post can edit. I can see that this is usefull but requires alot of scripting. :p

[Edited on 1-10-2004 by tablet]

5. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

If you did want to impliment that plan, we would have to wait til more people were active at ID.com. we currently only have 9 members who have made over 100 posts (and only 20/129 members have made over 20 posts).

Also, might they just as well post in the thread, instead of editing your post?

---pineapple

6. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Sure, but then the thread will be filled up. Pages after pages. Very inconvenient.

The purpose is convenient.

And also, we should stop requesting and giving ideas. No more. :) I believe the most important thing RIGHT now is the design and look of it.

Design the Core first, then the rest will come.

[Edited on 1-10-2004 by tablet]

7. ilovepizza

Can we have a subforum in the lounge about food? Then a sub forum in there about pizza. :p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D

8. ilovepizza

I do not think it is possible to have people edit your post unless they are made a mod. So all the people who could edit a post would have to have moderater status. Sorry I do not think the idea will work.

9. tablet

tablet Premium Member

10. ilovepizza

I guess it will work. Thanks table for telling me that. My mistake.

11. Nygdan

Nygdan Member

I think it would be interesting to allow the membership have a collective vote that carries as much weight as a single moderator or something like that. But do the moderators actually sit down and vote on stuff, or do they rather discuss it and come to conclusions by consensus?

Perhaps another way to give the membership authority is to give the membership as a whole a 'veto' on certain things. Like if a particular member is banned, perhaps everyone could vote yes or no on a veto and if the yes wins then its vetoed and the member isn't banned. It could work for whatever topics one would want ot use it on. It might even be interesting to consider it even if the veto-vote could only be held on a decision that the administration wants it to be held on, at least it would be a good way to get feedback.

12. tablet

tablet Premium Member

pizza, I didn't expect you to know. :p I'm a very light person, so no worry.

Nygdan, yes that's a good idea. But does our mod have scripting skill?

(can I poke both of you in the stomach? c'mon...pleaseee!!!)

13. ilovepizza

I think it would also be a great idea for members to get to vote on new mods. The mods make the board better for the people so we should have some say in the people that are choosen. :gomods::gomods::gomods::gomods::gomods:

14. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

We will keep members involved in all decisions ID.com makes because we wouldnt have the forum if there were not members but it will remain the decision of the admin to pick moderators and add or subtract forum content. If you ever have a problem with content or a moderator just u2u us and we will do whatever possible to resolve the issue, but so far I think all the mod choices have been excellent.

15. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

There will be many things that we will ask for votes on and their will be some things that we will not. We need to pick mods internally. This is not to become a popularity vote getting thing to become a mod and I would never want to put names up to be voted on. This is not fair if people are NOMINATED and then get no votes. No feelings hurt in here. So, this will stay an Admin based decision.

16. ilovepizza

I completly agree with you Zsandmann. I just figured if members got to vote on who became mods I would easily be voted in, because all I would have to do is give a free piece of pizza to every member to get them to vote for me. :p:p:p:p:p:p