Metaphysics I Am So Confused????

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by Bleys, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:wow:

Some of you know I'm an atheist but I just don't understand why people care if there are manger scenes in the parks, christian songs sung by school children or the word Christmas is used at......wait for it........Christmas.

I saw this small story and just shook my head:

Do we care if Bush used a psalm in his Christm...sorry - Greetings Cards?

Do I really have to call my Christmas cookies - Holiday cookies now?

Does this seem like much ado about nothing or am I just an extremely openminded atheist?

B.

2. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

Bush is not a christian, unless Christ said, "and if you suspect your neighbor is brandishing a weapon, you may invade his house and kill him."

Seeing how I doubt Christ said that, I would charactorize Bush as a "Pharisee Christian". You can look that up on the web.

Bush family laundered millions of dollars of #@!&% gold stolen from butchered concentration camp victims. I guess that's a real christian act if ever I saw one.

http://www.911-strike.com/bush-nazi.htm

• Like Like x 1
  3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Well, there were no Pharisee Christians in the Bible.

A Pharisee is someone who follows the Torah(or the bible if you wanted to warp the discription of Pharisee) very strictly and literally.

A Pharisee would not do the things you stated above bodebliss, so i do not understand your arguement.

I also dont understand how EVERY thread can somehow be turned into a bashing of President Bush.

---Pineapple

P.S. As for the use of xmas, all i have to say is "I'm dreaming of a white hoilday" just doesnt have the same nice ring to it.

4. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Lets keep the conspiracy stuff for ATS and keep this thread on-track for the discussion at hand.

Ok, Bush putting a Christian verse on his Christmas (holiday ha ha) cards... Hmmmmm... Seperation of church and state come to mind. If the cards are for his family and personal friends, I have no problems with it. If the cards are official greeting cards for politicians and the like and not personal (family and close friends) then I say it is just bad taste in my opinion. Unless he sends out Muslim cards and other religous cards also. :D

If someone sells cookies or advertises cookies, they can call them whatever they want too! This type of PR stuff is just stupid, the paper is not state run and people are not forced to put up with the paper. If they do not like it, they do not have to buy it. We cannot even say "mankind" any more. Look, people have made the word Secretary a bad word and want to be called a Personal Assistant or whatever. What is the difference and it is only a word. This PR stuff has gotten out of hand.

Manger in a Public Park... hmmm.. tough one there. But, I say if the park allows other religions to have religous displays on their holidays, I see no problem with it.

5. bodebliss

6. bodebliss

I did not start a thread on Bush's christmas card

If this does not show the leanings of Bush's falseness:

Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself, ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’
    But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
    I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
    —Luke 18:9-14, NIV

This is what Christ saw.

http://www.kencollins.com/hope-21.htm

7. pineappleupsidedown

I did google it, and you know what i found? ONE case of a Pharisee chirstian. Paul (later Saul). And that was a convert, and a very special case

the next time i saw it used in the way you mean was a post by a certain Bodebliss at Politics @ ATS.

I stopped looking after that.

Dont accuse me of otherwise.

---Pineapple

8. pineappleupsidedown

Plz do not quote scripture at me, I can quote it right back.

Romans 13:1-2
    1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Thats "what Christ saw" too.

This was written by that "Pharisee-turned-Christian", who was so inspired by God.

---Pineapple
    P.S. My apoligies to non-christians, etc. just trying to prove a point

9. bodebliss

JCMin,

The world is changing to reflect the demographic change in the workforce. Terminology must be tamed!

As long as the rich don't start calling us workers peasants again....

10. bodebliss

pineapple,

I think that was about taxes.

I pay mine.

Bush should not profess christianity on one hand and kill on the other. He should just come right out and say, "listen girls and boys, I work for the devil."

At least he wouldn't be hypocrit then.

11. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

The interesting thing is...why does this only happen in Western civilisations...Eastern cultures celebrate their festivals as they see fit, they are not so PC as to pretend they aren't celebrating!

I am atheist and have no problem with calling Christmas what it is! I love the wee mangers and nativity scenes! (hard to find 3 wise men now thou, okay that was a JOKE, don't call me on it)

Gee, I live in a city called Christchurch, wonder what the name would have been changed to by now if I was in the States!

12. bodebliss

HH,

I know. I heard once India and Sri Lanka to not offend religious groups included 187 religious holidays in their constitutions.

13. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

I don't understand?? This thread was about political corectness, no?
    So bodebliss why do you keep bringing things that have nothing to do with the subject?

14. bodebliss

Hey Icewolf,

I was responding to this quip about eastern cultures!

Or don't you read whole threads before you post :lol:

15. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

what I meant was you were commenting on george bush, the person not the pc attitude being portrayed towards him.

16. bodebliss

sorry Icewolf,

I didn't know bush was politically correct I thought he was a smurking thieving lying rich boy.

17. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

i did not say that he was politically correct bodebliss, (and there you go again) but back to topic, PC is getting far to out of hand.

18. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

UGh... Must say something but can't let thread go off track.....

OK, I aggree Blyes, who cares if Bush quoted the Bible. After all If your an aithest you dont believe in a god and have come to this decision through through questions and reasioning of your beliefs. If you are in some way offended by people bringing up the Bible you are not that strong in your beliefs.
    Bush can be a christian all he want's If people have a problem with that they need to become a bit more secure in their morals, values, beliefs, and stance on life. This is Absurd. If people are offended by all this BS about saying "Christmas" and want "Holidays" said instead is absurd. WHy should they care? Why are you offended by a word? I can understand if someone BASHED CHRISTMAS DOWN YOUR THROAT WITH A ROCK but not a word. This is geting out of hand.

I'm happy I'm a conservative. But thats not to say there are not any bad conservatives out there either. Or to say that this is a Liberal problem... ( I don't think I should have said that but I want my beliefs, opinions, values, and what I stand for in the open. Becasue unlike some people I truly believe in what I believe and am willing to die for it.)

19. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

This topic needs to get on-track again or it will be deleted. If you want to discuss how much you like or hate Bush personally, then take it to the ATS Political forum. This is not a forum to bash or say how much you love someone. We are talking a social issue here. Please keep it that way or warnings will be issued. Sorry to be strict on this, but we need to keep the learning process on a straight course and I have let this go a little off course, but it does not seem to be straightening itself out. So, I am taking over the helm.

Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to a more productive conversation after this.

20. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

Yall know I am an atheist, and I could care less what its called. Call it Christmas, it doesnt matter to me. I call it that, still knowing what the word implies, but who gives a damn. What I DONT mind is when we're made to acknowledge the existence of a god like in the Pledge, or laws influenced by Christianity, or any other religious group.

Back to Christmas...it could be called OogaBoogaFest for all I care, its just a friggin word. And when people start getting in a hissy fit over a word like that then they have a problem.

The Cookies...they WERE Christmas Cookies, made for Christmas, which is most likely what they were intended for. Since they most likely had shapes of Santa, Rudolf...and so forth.

In closing...stop complaining. Theres worse things in life.