Dismiss Notice
Attention: All Treasure Hunters.
Our Website Has Changed.

CLICK HERE for the Forrest Fenn Thrill Of the Chase Discussion Group.

Earth Science Hurricane Frances

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by JcMinJapan, Aug 30, 2004.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

1.jpg

Hurricanes are certainly beautiful when you are above them!

2. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

Or able to follow the eye around wherever you go. I wonder if people actually do that, ala Twister, only on a larger scale. Certainly make for an interesting time.

3. I have a relative who is the head of a major power corporation in south Georgia. I spoke with him today and he said that if this thing hits land anywhere near Jacksonville,FL that much of south Georgia and Florida could be without power for the better part of a month. They are hard at work forming emergency outage plans to try and minimize the effects of downed lines and broken poles. It looks like Labor Day is going to be rather unpleasant this year.

4. Cinderloft

It isnt looking good. I hope people just get out of the area soon. Reports I have read say that there is a good chance the intensity can increase before landfall, and it is already supporting max sustained winds of 140 mph. Be careful Denyers if any of you are from Florida.

5. JcMinJapan

Florida told to expect storm worse than Andrew

Just in....

This looks like a huge storm. If it is predicted to be worse than Andrew, this could be devistating! It is reported to be a Cat 5 sotrm with winds from 156 mph an up.

6. JcMinJapan

6.jpg

WOW! this is certainly a HUGE STORM!!!!!

7. Cinderloft

Yes, yes it is. Anyone have a full planetary pic with the storm on it? I just want to see the comparison.

C.

8. amantine

amantine Premium Member

The APOD Image of the hurricane shows a larger part of the earth. It is computer-rendered though. There are also some nice links about hurricanes on that APOD (Astronomy Picture Of the Day) page.

9. Cinderloft

Very nice amantine. Thanks.

On a side note, does anyone know how Cuba fared through Charley? I only read one article about it (it was all I could find) and it did not have much information at all.

10. JcMinJapan

September 4th update

Well, itlooks like is has slowed down. Usually when they slow down, don`t they usually pick up wind speed again?

11. JcMinJapan

The storm has finally hit. Well, the good thing is that the winds are only at 107 instead of the 150 they predicted. That will at least save alot in terms of damage.

12. JcMinJapan

Alot of damage, but at least the worst is over.

13. JcMinJapan

Hurricane Frances has now been downgraded to a tropical storm.

14. Well I must say that driving through the middle of Francis last night was not my idea of fun. We drove from South GA to Central GA and Francis was settled over us the entire way. We were getting pushed around like a kite going up I-75. Some bottoms had 2-3 ft. of water standing on the road. Trees were down everywhere. We still dont have power on in Macon. Luckily the office has power/internet up the road. Lots of damage here, cant imagine what Florida must really look like. Wish us luck it looks like she is spinning around for another pass on us before she heads out to the Atlantic.

15. JcMinJapan

Wow, driving in it too. Up for fun huh? ha ha
    Hope is all ok with your house and family.

Yeah, Flroida must be pretty bad out there, especially the keys. I am sure the got pounded even worse than the mainland.