Metaphysics Humanity and Pain

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by _Angel_1991, Apr 4, 2005.

1. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

Well, since none of you have responded to my more cheerful threads I am gonna make a depressing one and see what happens...
    What do you think pain has to do with evolution and etc.?

2. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

Well,
    Physical pain and evolution appear to me to have a very obvious relationship.

A survival mechanism, more or less.
    If something physically hurts/harms you then you get away. To do otherwise would be stupid and would have evolutionary consequences.
    Pain is telling us something, and I don't think it's saying "Stay here, this is good for you."

3. _Angel_1991

How about that one Catholic Cult that wears that belt, I forget what it is called, the ceclice or something?
    They welcome pain.
    Do you think all pain is bad?

4. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

Ya, it's a cilice.

No, I don't think all pain is necessarily bad, mentally. But physically, of course. It's harm to the body. It can be a positive experience mentally, and good can be taken from it.

5. _Angel_1991

How about the pain you get, that pleasant ache when you have added to your muscles? That is not physically harming, yet it is still pain.

6. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

Your muscles are aching for a reason, are they not? It's a sign of overexertion or overuse, which is not really a good thing, it is, once again, your body telling you something.

I don't dispute that that feeling can be a good one, but I disagree with the claim that the ache is not a sign of physical harm.

7. _Angel_1991

As the old saying goes, "You can't get more til you break what you got" or something like that...

Let us (Haha who am I fooling, it is only you and me) now discuss what role PSYCHOLOGICAL pain can do.

8. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

It can be a thrill, for one.
    An example would be the pain that one gets when they get a tattoo. It's a thrilling type of pain, it gives you a rush (in my experience, anyway).

In the case of the cilice, it can be penance and solidarity or identification of the pain of Christ. It seems the physical pain can promote a strong mental bond, and signifier of penance. Physical pain for the relief of potential psychological torment due to sin.

Pain can play a lot of roles phschologically.

9. _Angel_1991

I believe psychological pain is good in the way that it shows us our humanity. Other wise most of us would think to highly of ourselves. Embarrasing and painful events humble us.

10. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

Ah, of course. My mind hadn't left the physical just yet when I replied to your second last comment.

Psyschological pain - I agree with you in what you say about it showing our humanity. I do think it can also be a sign of a need to get away from a situation, though. Psychological pain can come as a result of bad or dangerous situations and can signal a need to get away from something as much as physical pain can.

11. _Angel_1991

But pain is always coupled with pleasure. For example, It gives me pain to type this response, cause I am lazy, but I am also happy cause now I have 100 posts LOL.

Yes, psychological pain does pull us away, warn us of danger.

12. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

I disagree that it's always coupled with pleasure.
    It certainly can be, but I would hesitate to say there's a constant correlation between the two. But perhaps we're thinking different types of pain.

13. _Angel_1991

Hmmm....
    OOPS
    I didn't mean to say always...
    But many times it is.
    Take love, for example. That istruly a double edged sword. It hurts. A LOT.

14. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

It certainly is a double edged sword. Immense joy coupled with immense pain.

15. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas New Member

Pain and suffering carve into the soft ground of our soul a well, which, when deep enough, hits the fresh, clear water of wisdom and true happiness.

Either that or it hits solid rock, and then you're just plain unlucky.
    Poor sod.

16. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

hrrm sounds like a chapter out of the book of Sirach in the bible....

Pain is not depressing first of all. Pain is an obsticle to gain a greater power. Weather it be mental pain or physical. If you are mentally stressed or hurt something has happened and it has left something on your personality and memories. It has become part of you. You can choose to dwell in it, then its depressiong, or you can choose to face it and set things right and make it all better. That is what I believe should be done. There is nothing in life that is meant for you tobecome unhappy. The obsticles in life are there for you to overcome and to meet and beat. To grow stronger in person and personality so that you may fight yourself to gain the happines you seek.

Of course this is my philosphy and is what I believe for me. It is what I find gets me to happiness unfourtnately each person is different and has a different road to happiness. It is hard to have a set guide line to find it you have to do that yourself.

I don't say I'm right and I don't say I'm wrong. I just say in issues like this.. "The correct answer is the one you choose to except."

17. Loveforthearts

Loveforthearts New Member

Without pleasure there would be no pain, and vice versa (Psychlogical pain, that is). If there was no pain you would have nothing to compare pleasure to, therefore meaning it wouldn't be pleasurable. It also works the other way round, if there was no pleasure you wouldn't feel pain as such as there'd be nothing to say you're feeling worse than.

~*~*~*~

I do agree that physical pain is a survival device though, and those with the ability to feel it are most likely to survive. One thing that has crossed my mind is the thought that there may have once been a race unable to feel pain who became extinct due to this.

*~*~*LoveForTheArts*~*~*:bouncy:

18. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

ah, the theory of "natural selection"

Yes, physical pain serves a purpose to keep us alive...I guess mental pain serves to keep us from making poor decisions...?

19. Kalibur

Kalibur Premium Member

Humanity and Pain go hand-in-hand. In fact, life and pain go hand-in-hand. Pain is largely the basis of our actions.

20. Yay

Yay New Member

Anything that hurts makes you stronger. Physical or Psychological.
    ...Unless you died.