How to Improve Forum

Discussion in 'Website Support & Announcements' started by tablet, Sep 9, 2004.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

This is the gayest thread. :p

2. amantine

amantine Premium Member

Wow, nice design you have there tablet. I like it. Maybe you could talk with Smirkley about using it for the site (I believe Smirkley is responsible for the design).

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I would vote against an "Urgent" section because i believe it will only encourage people to be lazy. They will use that as an excuse to not search for the threads. My suggestion them would be to save the information in notepad, and when they have the time, Post. Saves us all that trouble. The world isnt going to end before they have a chance to do a search and post.

---pineapple

4. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Unless it is an Asteroid!.... ha ha ha ha ha
    Wow,I seem to be trolling all of your examples lately....ha ha

Bad boy... I will go sit in the corner.... **bows head and heads to the corner**

5. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I guess I miscalculated the black side of that concept. And come to think of it Notepad will do the
    job. But I'm still curious to why big forum have thread that in a way identical.

Some even begin their thread with "Ok, I hope this thread doesn't already exist, I don't have the
    time to check it."

Is there a pill that will solve this laziness? When this forum reach 2000 members, I will have to be
    more careful not post garbage. Right now it's easy to fool around and get away with it but later
    more people come and this place will become a Chinese Market (I hope not).

How do we get people not to be lazy? anyone have ideas? Should we start implementing microchip into
    their arm? :)

6. pineappleupsidedown

If we knew that, a bet half us us wouldnt be on this site, we would be too busy working, hahaha.

I dont think its a problem right now not because its easy to get away with, but because many of us have been here since the beginning so we already know what threads are out there. It becomes a problem when there are many new members who dont know what has already been said and dont take the time to check. (or dont know how to use the search button).

---pineapple

7. JcMinJapan

I say BAN THEM!!!!!!!! Ban anyone that posts anything that has already been discussed... BWA HA HA BAN BAN BAN

Seriously though... I am sure some things will be posted again especially, once we have tens of thousands of posts. But, the moderators will be here to decide if the threads should be merged together or even left separate for new and informative discussion. People will make mistakes, and occasionally be a bit lazy. Once in a while is good. If it happens all the time from a few people, we will have to talk with them. That is about the only way.

I do like micro-chipping anyone that wants to join. I do believe that we will invent the microchip that will deliver the right amount of shock treatment to cure any habit of bad manners on this board! BWAHAHAHAHA;)

8. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Since this is so new , I think it might be up to us (the starter culture) to remind new deneyers about the search option or recommend a little surfing to " get their legs" so to speak .

The other site (what was it called again?) that we are all familiar with is so FRAGGIN HUGE that I had a hard time adapting to the ettiquet of the search feature at first , and still do . Also , it's a pain in the butt adding your 2cents to a thread that is 150 posts long , and expect a reply to a sincere question or observation that you may have made .

Just because a post gets bumped to the top does not mean a person reads all the responces (I try to) , or even gets to the last contribution before they are off to another post .

There were times that I posted a new thread and was treated with a bit of contempt by some veterans when I just wanted to contribute in my own way .

It takes some dedication to navigate a site that you favor , and the excitement of a new experience often causes people to add their contribution (and that's how I think it should be perceived) before finding out if a topic has been covered . They should be welcomed and kindly refered to a tutorial section covering board process . Let's not spoil the experience for new members because we are familiar with the protocall .
    (be nice dammit !!)

The subsections are looking great , and the resource links sections are a great idea (should be lumped into one resource section IMO instead of so many individuals) SCIENCE RESOURCES stuck at the top ?

So by proxy , all the old school folks might need to be temporary MODS , and refer newer members to some POSTED recommendations .

Pull my finger if you disagree !

( and duck at the same time)

9. JcMinJapan

I agree with reminding users to use the search function. Well, I did think of making one post for all the resources, but as you mentioned about the size a thread can get, one we have allot of people posting here, it will be hard to look for only astronomy or physics threads. I would have to read each post and to see if they belong in astronomy, then I can try them. That is why I came up with one in each section. Most of the time, if people are looking for a good resource site, they will be looking with some sort of direction in mind and not just any resource on any topic. So, having that thought in my head, I think having them broken up will allow people to find good resources quickly on what they want to see

Now, We must always be nice to everyone. In ATS people get uptight as they have heard many arguments before. But, these arguments lead to personal feeling getting hurt etc etc. I think we can stay away from this allot on this board, as we are more fact related and want to learn. We are all humans and adults or soon-to-be adults. Treat each other with respect and treat others as you would want to be treated. (Unless you like to be treated like crap... ha ha ha

If people keep that in mind, then we can keep the positive and light environment that give people the feeling of wanting to contribute.

10. pineappleupsidedown

What made me laugh on ATS is when I would search for a topic, and find that all the threads on it were not what i wanted to talk about, so i would start a new thread. Then someone would yell at me and post a link to one of the threads i had already looked at and deterimined as different. Some of the members of ATS are just out to find ppl to tell that they shouldnt post.

Not at all saying that ATS or its members are bad, just that with that many members, there are bound to be some bad apples. Lets try to, as you said, keep this site postive.

---pineapple

11. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

seems we all agree on the "be nice and please use the search feature" issue . My point with the resource links was to have them in a central location as opposed to a recent post starting at the top and working its way down .

I would rather not search through todays posts to find the resource links that could be anywhere .

As they are non discussion oriented , they will creep towards the bottom and be overlooked , or not looked at period .

Stick em' somewhere where they are easily accesible and grouped together so people can choose wisely instead of stumbling across a sub-section that may not be on the daily posts .

Ot

12. JcMinJapan

I have them stuck at the top of the forums.... ;)
    They will always stay there.... ;)

[Edited on 11-9-2004 by JcMinJapan]

13. pineappleupsidedown

I really like how when you search for a post it gives you a little excerpt of what the post is. Great idea Smirkley or whoever came up with it!

---pineapple