Metaphysics How many grains of sand does it take to make a pile?

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by Icewolf, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

This is an age old philosophy question and I always guessed it had to do with "where do we draw the line?"

For example, (sorry any americans) their rights to keep and bear arms, where do they draw the line? from a handgun to a shotgun, that right isn't specific enough but how does common sense and morality answer the question,

How many grains of sand does it take to make a pile?

- Ice -

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Well,I would have to say 4. Three on the bottom and then one on top to make it stackable. So, 4 makes a pile... ha ha

Well, how many pieces of hair does a guy need to lose before is can be called bald?

3. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

One,..

in a pile of atoms.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

As long as you have the David Letterman "tuft" on the front center portion of your scalp , you can never be bald . If you don't , "the line" is drawn at where your neck hair and beard start growing . If there is no hair above them , then you are bald...

re: guns : Most of us have two hands , so two is the logical amount of guns to have blazing at the same time . As far as Americans and guns: We have this loophole in our rule book that allows us to strap as many weapons to our bodies as is equal to our body weight . We take no offence on anyones lack of ability to do the same....

AND ...... How big is this alleged pile of sand ?

* nice sig !

5. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:
    AGH!!
    I would have to say that a pile of sand would be 100 grains, just enough so that the first response of the viewer would be "Oh there is a pile of sand".

6. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

What if it was spread out ? I must have 100 grains of sand in my kitchen , but no piles...

7. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Could we kinda get back to the philosophy way of looking at this, i think the question behind this is where do we draw the line.

8. GoneFission

GoneFission Premium Member

How long is the coastline of England?

Theoretically speaking, the coastline is infinite in length (chew on that one - infinite circumference, finite area). Practically speaking, it depends upon the length of your ruler.

It's a matter of scale and perception.

Thus it is for any situation where we have to "draw a line." Take me, for instance: I shave my head, hence from a distance I appear bald. If you look close enough, however, you will see that I have a full head of hair, even if they are only a couple hundred microns in length.

The right to bear arms is extremely complicated in that it involves social, political, and economical considerations, but it can all be simplified to perception.

There can be no universal standard for dividing complicated objects or processes into simple abstract groups.

Where do we draw the line? Wherever we want to.

9. tablet

tablet Premium Member

One truth is that the mind cannot comprehend a universe with or without boundary. Don't quote me on this. So to ask how much grain of sand does it needs to make a pile... I would say there's no pile and can never be a pile of sand. You however might go the other way and say there's a pile, either way, the mind cannot comprehend.

There is no answer. We just have to accept it.

10. Ape

Ape Premium Member

I believe the line isn't drawn till ,whatever the line is for, becomes a problem. So u could say people like taking the "learn the hard way" role rather than the "draw the line ahead or time" one, but ....... I kind or learn stuff the hard way so cant really say anything.

11. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member