Zoology How does marine life exist where life non existed before?

Discussion in 'Zoology' started by mscbkc070904, Jan 21, 2005.

1. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I know the answer to this question, but I want to see how many can answer this.

Say you built a man-made pond in your backyard somewhere away from city life and you add nothing to the pond except water thats it. You of course have wildlife visit the pond, to catch a drink or wade in the water, from squirells, to muskrats, ducks, geese, birds of all varieties, racoons, and so forth.

The following year you notice you marine life living inside your pond, strangely the majority of the marine life is fish of various species.

How did they get there when nothing was added?

2. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

undigested bird poo ? or maybe that slithering snake fish has made its way to your backyard.?.?....

I think all life came from the Mississippi myself , all those lawyers
    (err , I mean catfish...)

3. switchblade

switchblade Member

Could be like the reproducing gnome phenomenon - where your neighbours think it would be funny to add things to your pond. Other than that, I'm going with Oddtodd and the bird pooh theory.

4. mscbkc070904

Not correct, but in the general area, going to give others a chance to answer. I will post the answer tonight.

5. drlau

drlau Premium Member

"I'll take Spontaneous Generation for 100, Alex."

When waterfowl wade in a pond that has marine life, sometimes egg clusters will stick to their feet, legs, etc. They carry these eggs with them when they visit your "uninhabited" pond, where some of the eggs are deposited and eventually hatch.

--Doc

6. Lastman

Lastman New Member

I'm thinking along the same lines as the good doctor, but couldn't weather also play a factor? Storm systems at sea, as well as inland, have been known to pick up and deposit entire clusters of marine life ( raining frogs ) It would be pretty safe to assume that roe could be deposited in the same way, and the lucky few that survive the trip, and find themselves in the pond, would have an ideal, predator-free environment to hatch.

7. Iggy

Iggy Premium Member

8. mscbkc070904

DrLau has the absolute correct answer:

When waterfowl wade in a pond that has marine life, sometimes egg clusters will stick to their feet, legs, etc. They carry these eggs with them when they visit your "uninhabited" pond, where some of the eggs are deposited and eventually hatch.

Good Job, thanks....want to know who taught me that, my son when we were at the DC zoo a few yrs back and I had to ask the Waterfowl zoologist and they verify it. My son learned it off Animal Planet.

Thanks for responding.

9. drlau

drlau Premium Member

My daughter watches Animal Planet rather frequently, too. Especially if there is anything about horses...

--Doc