Chit Chat How Do You Find Information

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Icewolf, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

this thread is for listing the ways you go about finding out information for, research
    gamesmaster
    etc

2. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I use Google for everyday items , Ask jeeves and dogpile .
    For science I use : http://www.scirus.com/srsapp/

There is a free search program called Copernic basic available for download that searches all the usual search engines at once , (Look it up on google:D)

It is sometimes a matter of changing the wording of your entry . Instead of using the word "picture" for example , you can use : image , photo , jpg, bmp etc...

When looking for a person , sometimes it is easier to do last name first , comma , then first name .

Gamemaster is a matter of using multiple terms as location/person/item/time is establised thru the correct answers of the competition . For example : Person + Date may give you a location that a person was at the specific location .

using key words helps . In the gamemaster final the death of all the writers listed was from lung ailments . So hostpital led to sanitarium and the addition of the location led to a college in Switzerland that fit all the parameters .

Feel free to use the plus sign to add more clues for the searc engines , then fiddle with it !

3. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

4. mrwupy

mrwupy New Member

I use Copernic Pro. It beats the heck out of Google and saves my searches to boot. There is a free version but i'm not sure of the link for it.

Love and light,

Wupy

5. tablet

tablet Premium Member

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."
    I really like that! Welcome aboard mrwupy.

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."
    I really like that! Welcome aboard mrwupy.

I've been using search engine the improper way. Too lazy to learn the code for better searching but now that I'm really into info hunting I've decided to take the time and play with it. The advantage of Corpernic is that it has alot of engine for you to choose from. IF you're searching for images, it has an engine just for that! IF you're searching for scientific research, it has an engine for that as well which guaranteed you get better result.

Every search engine has its own method of searching, not alot different but slightly different in the boolean. With Copernic it take care of that for you. You learn its rule and it automatically applied to all engine that it uses.

http://www.google.ca/help/refinesearch.html

Normally your search would be something like: Keyword subkey1 subkey2 subkey3 but after you learn the boolean it becomes something like:

("photoshop" +tutorial +layout +webdesign) -buy

IF you're searching for something that has a space in it, like a name of a person just enclose it with quotes. For example, I want to search for albert einstein but I don't want to buy any book about it...

"Albert Einstein" -"buy book"

Keep in mind that "buy book" is the exact phrase that it's looking for. Overall, learn the boolean system for a specific engines and if you're super serious with info hunting go with the flow and get Copernic.

6. websurfer

websurfer Member

A dictionary comes in handy once in a while.

Library helps.

A bookstore may also come in handy once in a while. [They have a nice way of organizing information, you walk in and ask people]

Asking people helps, posting stuff here or over at bts/ats also helps.

Internet searches as those listed above in previous posts.

Encarta encyclopedia.