Metaphysics Hope

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by tablet, Oct 23, 2004.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

What is hope? Why is there hope? Do we need hope?

2. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

i have been thinking about this recently, or something similar.

i think in our world, for those who have computers opr electricity or running water we need hope, it is part of our life. we need hope as much as weed need dispair. i think though in the 1st world countries, the industrilaized, we are way too seld involved. we have a a habiot of thinking of our selves as important, and in the grand scheme of things we aren't we live and die we are a wave of a generation, we affect those closest to us and then they go on living, for the vast majority we do not change their lives.

if you have ever watched those shows where people go to live in a amazonial tribe or in an uncharted area in africa people there always seem to us wathcing as if they are animals, very primal, they dont react to things the way we do in front of outr computers, we cheer as our sports teams lose and are saddened as marlon brando dies. we occupy our minds with illusions, things that really dont effect our lives but we make them out to.

if you ask me if we need hope? yes ithink in one way we do, in another it really doesnt matter, we will die either way, if by old age or if by killer bees/terrorism or AIDS it does't matter. when the time comes we have no choice but to accept it. and when it comes down to it what we fear most is death and what he hope for most is life.

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Yes we need hope. Even the Greeks had figured out that the one thing that keeps us going is hope. When Pandora's box was opened, the most evil thing was kept from escaping, and that was Hopelessness.

I think hope is believing that the sun WILL come out tomorow, and if not, by the middle of next week.

---pineapple

[Edited on 10-23-2004 by pineappleupsidedown]

4. Gravare

Gravare Premium Member

yes, we need hope, for without hope there is no will, and without will, nothing would ever be done, because no one would feel like doing it because thay have no hope that it would matter.

5. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

Hope is wishful thinking w/ a prayer thrown in.

6. Young William

Young William Premium Member

I believe that Hope is hope is a potpourri of feelings and thoughts that serve to keep the self motivated.
    Most importantly, however,I believe that hope is our trust and patience as we intermix among the human race.

7. Loveforthearts

Loveforthearts New Member

We all need hope, because without it theres nothing to look forward to, nothin to get us through the day. If there was no hope the sucide toll would be alot higher!

~*~*~LoveForTheArts~*~*~

8. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

I think some people in life have things far too easy, it's these people who've lost the need for hope which dissapoints me, there are people who are a lot less fortunate than us and for them hope is all they have.

But remember hope isn't just a personal thing, you can hope that other people will do things, (pass exams, or recover from an illness) which is another side of human compassion.

- Ice -

9. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

"Hope is the thing with feathers"
    -Emily Dickenson

Hope...
    Hope... yes old hope... I had almost forgotten it.
    Light in the darkness, heat in the cold, life in death.
    Hope.

10. bodebliss

How can there be hope when each new life is a new death sentence.

When they banish the disease called death, I will hope anew.

11. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

thankyou that lovely senimental optimistic thought will make me sleep easier each night.

- Ice -

12. bodebliss

Icewolf, you had to be made aware at some point.

13. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Geez Bode - if that just isn't the most cynical way of viewing life. Embrace life, celebrate it, enjoy that blanket party you were talking about on another thread. Don't mourn it before you've had a chance to experience it.

Bleys

[Edited on 5-16-2005 by Bleys]

14. Young William

Bodebliss, it's what you leave behind that helps to create a more promising future..............

15. bodebliss

"Geez Bode - if that just isn't the most cynical way of viewing life. "

To you that may sound cynical, but it keeps me focused that each day there is so much more I want to accomplish before the fading of the light and, each day there is so much more I want to accomplish before the fading of the light and, each day there is so much more I want to accomplish before the fading of the light and, each day there is so much more I want to accomplish before the fading of the light and, each day there is so much more I want to accomplish before the fading of the light and.....

"Bodebliss, it's what you leave behind that helps to create a more promising future.............."

As for this, the poet John Keats(1795-1821) wrote it best on his tombstone, "Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

16. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Now that I can understand. Thanks for setting me straight.

Have a good night all,
    Bleys

17. Kalibur

Kalibur Premium Member

I think we need hope. Hope is essential to human nature. Hope is essential to the belief that things can get better;the world can be a better place. If everyone was hopeless we would not progress. Hope spawns ambition. A world without hope is world where humanity has faded.

18. Young William

Well no matter what motivates any individual, barring maladaptive behavior, it's the accomplishment that matters.
    And for Keats, well he was a man of many faces, as are most poets, so don't rationalize a lifetime with only a few words like he did.

19. bodebliss

He lived a difficult life, a love lost, and early death at 26.

Some say, unrequited love killed him.

[Edited on 5-17-2005 by bodebliss]