Technology Holographic Versatile Discs (HVD)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by DreamLandMafia, Sep 1, 2004.

1. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

The next generation in large capacity data storage.
    So...When do you all think that this technology will be commonplace? or atleast affordable? Im still waiting for DVD Burners to drop down to a price that I can afford :(

2. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

1 Terabyte Optical Disk Invented

This is a phenomenal amount of storage for one CD. Ive been into computers for about 18 years, and I dont think I could fill one up with all the data I have. At this point in time, it is not really necessary for the average consumer, but as the article states, it wont be available until 2010. Perhaps by then vast amounts of storage will be necessary.

Off the top of my head, that is about 200 000 mp3's, 800 000 minutes of music, 13 300 hours, 554 days, or 1 and a half years of steady music listening, without repeat, assuming that there were no repeats of songs. Kind of mind boggling isnt it?

3. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Yeah but a lot of people have invested a lot of money into DVDs they won't want to see DVD prices falling because of this new disc.

4. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I saw that there is a thing called the blue ray disk coming out next year. Anyone have the scoop on those.

5. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

I have a 200 gig hard drive and I've almost filled it in 1.5 yrs.

You talk about MP3 like it's the tops . There are other forms of sound storage. DWT which is loss-less, as opposed to lossy MP3 and other forms.

There are loss-less picture formats .tiff and others.
    There are loss-less motion picture formats.

Loss-less HDTV formats and holographic movies will come.
    Live TV, etc. 100-10,000 times the 200 gig hard drive would be Great when going after storing these types of media.

All these will require massive storage ability. Solid-state 10 petabyte hard drives are on the drawing board by the time they are ready(2010) they will be welcome.

I stored :59 seconds of sound in Loss-less and it took up 12 megs., but the sound that I got was so much better.