Botany Herbal Gardeners

Discussion in 'Botany' started by pineappleupsidedown, Oct 4, 2004.

1. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Does anyone here have certain herbs that you grow to use in teas or anything? I grow rosemary to season meat, but I am interested in possiblely growing my own ingredients for tea. Thanks.

2. drlau

drlau Premium Member

Do hops count? I know they are not technically "herbs", but I do grow them.

Mostly M.t Hood and Cascade varieties. This coming spring I would like to try some Kent Goldings.

Hops are a truly neat plant to watch. The bines (not a typo - hops plants grow on bines, not vines) can grow at a pace of 6 inches a day!

I have not used the hop cones in a tea, though I have heard others have. My use? Homebrewed beer. :cheers:

3. elizabeth

elizabeth New Member

I grow peppermint, catnip, and spearmint. I've used them in teas. The catnip has a slightly sedative effect. Good for headaches.
    The peppermint and spearmint teas are great if you have a bad cold with a stuffy nose.
    These are easy to grow and spread rapidly. Best to keep them in large clay pots if you want to keep them more contained.

4. deepabove

deepabove New Member

I have a few different plants including thyme, oregano, various mints, basil, parsley and chives, mainly using them for flavouring/sauces etc.

For tea you might want to look into lemon balm, sage or damiana.

Are you looking for any particular effects from the concoction?

5. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Mostly just in general, I go through a lot of tea bags and was thinking about growing my own.

I am interesting in knowing which plants have what effects, like the info elizabeth gave.

Anything besides catnip good for right before bed?

---pineapple

6. marg6043

marg6043 Premium Member

Back home in my island my mother and I had a very nice herb garden from spices to remedies.

My favorites, mejorana, ginger, oregano, mint, cherry peppers and recao.

7. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I would like to know more myself, me and my wife want to plant a garden this year and we want to grow some different things. My wife loves to make things from scratch. What are some of the best types of herbs to grow? I know some herbs require being potted, but which ones are best for a garden, with experiences in the past?

8. switchblade

switchblade Member

Chamamile flowers make nice tea.

9. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

Rosebottels make a lovely tea and chamilla tea is very soothing.
    Both very easy to grow and available at most garden centers.
    There are many books available over how to prepare this availabel at health shops.

10. overrocked

overrocked Premium Member

valerian root is the most effective herbal sleep aid I know of- although it does have some morning after effects. I've never tried to grow it though. Kava Kava is another herbal sleep aid that I only use on backpacking trips- it doesn't have side effects- although it can be toxic to your liver if used too often. You would probably have to grow alot of chamomile to get enough for tea- the seeds are extremely small and were hard for me to get to germinate, but the tea is excellent and I usually add dried rose hips or hibiscus flowers. I agree with the various mints- they are easy to grow but need to be contained- and you will always have enough leaves for a tea!

11. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I grow my own basil, spearmint, rosemary, parsley and a bunch of veggies. I recommend growing mints. They are very easy to take care of and very hearty.

12. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

BWAH growing mint!?! thats insane never grow mint except in a verry specail and secluded pot. Mint is the most destructive plant ever! it will kill a redwood tree if it is planted next to it. Calling it "hearty" is an understatment.

13. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

ha ha ha.... Yes, my mint in in a pot... I have let them dry and freeze, but they always spring back with no problem. They are sure easy to grow!... ha ha