Chit Chat Helping With Homework

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tablet, Nov 9, 2004.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I believe that it does no harm. Because if someone truly loves what he's doing/studying. He will actually try to understand the material.

Ok, deny my ignorance. :lol:

2. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

What is it you need help with tabster ?;)

3. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

I was just talking about this with the smirkster as I am just doing trigonmetry with my 14 year old...

well, bugger me if I can remember any trig...and I was school dux....ha ha ha ha

arrgh,am allowed to be older and slower ;)

at least I can connect to the net ;)

4. tablet

tablet Premium Member

::doing trigonmetry with my 14 year old...

That 14 year old is lucky!!! Through out elementary and highschool I have to do everything myself (slow process).

::What is it you need help with tabster ?

haah. No homework. Waxy was asking for help on science in another thread and "helping homework" was brough up. So I decided to start a thread about it.

What's everyone experience with HOMEWORK?

I believe that there's a difference between learning by yourself (self-taugh) and learning from others.

5. helenheaven

Homework sux!

I am 36 NOW and am sick of it!!!! I am not going to do it anymore! Sam and had to build to scale replicas of famous landmarks....I made a bloody good 3 D pentagon which he got an A for !!!

no more.......I get too enthusiastic about arty things and take over.....

BUT...new post

6. helenheaven

Bill Gates Treasure Box

bizzarely enough, my 11 year old's homework asssignment is to to make a"treasure" box...and put inside it what Bill Gates would...

any ideas ???

I told him the only thing in there should be a note saying "inspiration never ends"...but my son says he would get in trouble!

7. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Well since we're on this topic inside a philosophy section. Let's talk further. :devil:

School give out useless homework! What's the purpose of homework? Ok, argue that! :bouncy:

8. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

meh hwk helps those who want to learn and hinders those who dont, it depends on the person

9. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Homework = Teachers that dont want to spend any more time on a topic in class :) Sorry it is the sad truth, I know a lot of teachers, and when they get frustrated with a classes performance, out comes the preassembled (break glass in case of an emergency) homework file.

I always, OK ALMOST ALWAYS, did my homework, because it felt like an obligation. But I know peers that weighed the percentage homework affected their grade and if they could still make an A in the class they didnt do it. These were brilliant kids not slackers, they just were not motivated to do more homework on a subject they had already mastered.

Yes I was a nerd, who would have guessed, I never made a C until I took Calc 2 in college.... Which brings me to my next point...

Should you be allowed to teach an advanced course like calculus in the US if you barely speak english?

10. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

i'm one of those people z get it a's and b's and don't have to do hwk, i just understand it or i don't, the only thing i have to do is learn to study/revise better

11. tablet

tablet Premium Member

[Edited on 26-11-2004 by tablet]

12. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

Homework, the person who straps your head in a gillotine. The person who HAS to run around with scissors. The person who spills the sulfuric acid on you during chem class.:lol: I only injoy the subjects that I'm interested in, i.e. science, history, english and chem/alchemy.
    If your wondering what I mean by chem/alchemy is that alchemy was the begining of chemistry. Anyway, I will only ask here as a last resort, because my parents would not aprove any other way.
    Helenheaven, you should tell him too put in lots and LOTS of money.:D

13. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

My biggest problem with homework was my lack of desire to pursue the possible applications of the actual theories . I think if you are tring to teach someone triginometry (or anything for that matter) you should show them a PRACTICAL example of how it can be used .

One of the biggest problems in schools today is the lack of examples that can be useful to someone in the future . We wind up with below average participation , understanding , enthusiasm (I'll never use this , why learn it type of attitudes ) and grades .

Teach a student how a transit is used to measure out a foundation to a home and they will see one of the many uses of trig , and may inspire a future builder .

Show another how learning another language could enable them to not just be a hungry tourist rubbing their stomach and pointing to their mouth , but enable them to eplore other countries and societies and the world as a PARTICIPANT and you may inspire an accomplished and diplomatic translator .

Relating this to speaking english ... The finest 3d draftsmen in my highschool were from Cambodia and passed in works well beyond the abilities of the locals with only english reading skills ( little if any spoken words as communiction)

Music is a language , Mathematics is a language . Each can be taught in many tongues , but the results are the same in the end to everyone and can be shared without speech by like minded people .

Having others help me with my trig homework 20 years ago did me absolutely no good . It took a construction job and the daily PRACTICAL use of mathematics to show me the value of what I chose to ignore (and had to learn again) .

so if you are going to help someone with their homework , make examples in everyday activities and happenings that relate to the subject or you might as well just be talking to a parrot .