Physical Science [Help] Actual Science Fair

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by DreamLandMafia, Oct 17, 2004.

1. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

Okay, every year at my school we have to do a science fair. And every year I can never think of a good topic that isnt TERRIBLY hard. Does anybody have any topic ideas for a Freshmen in High School doing Sophomore/Junior Biology and Science??

2. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Hmm I have loads of great geology ideas but they involve machines you couldnt likely get use of. Hmmm I will have to ponder this.

Why not build a prototype for a proverbial perpetual motion machine?

3. DreamLandMafia

We gotta have a hypothesis and test it with a control and test groups. I dont see waht there is to test with the Perpetual Motion Machine.

4. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Well is it perpetual or at some point does entropy take over. Anyways...

Hypothesis:
    Experiment:
    Data:
    Analysis:
    Results:

With a Test Group and a Control Group eh.

You could freeze goldfish and see if they come back to life when dethawed after different lengths of time frozen. --Too Cruel you say?

OOOOooooOOO I know, you could do hydroponics. Growing plants without soil in a nutrient rich fluid. Look it up on the internet, you can find a recipe. Many test factors here: Time to germination, size of plant, recipe changes in fluid, light.... The control can be a seed in regular soil and a seed in regular water. I like IT!

5. DreamLandMafia

lmao um sure they wont mind just say ID.com oked it :up:

6. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I was thinking the plant thing too. You could also vary the amount of water given to the plants.

---pineapple

7. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

And of course I editted DLMs post instead of making a new one. Bah! Some day I shall learn to fully use my new found admin powers :) Jeez.

8. DreamLandMafia

The water thing they wouldnt let us do, not last year atleast. Its too....young. Maybe something with how nutrient rich the soil is, or as ZS said, growing it in some liquid.

9. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Yeah, ive accidently done that plenty of times. Fortunatly it was before i became a mod so it would just yell at me instead of actually changing it. now would these plants have different potencies DLM? you need to include that in your experiment too ;) :roll: :p

---pineapple

10. DreamLandMafia

Potencies? *shrugs* *googles*

We just need to have the basic topic by tomorrow. :)

11. titian

titian New Member

How does music affect blood pressure? It took me to the regionals in 9th grade. Got a great little six inch trophy for first place at my school. Still have that as it's the only non-athletic trophy I have.

12. DreamLandMafia

Now theres a GREAT idea. Im always listening to music, and I have blood pressure through the roof.

How would I go about testing it tho? Take the blood pressure of a few people while listening to music and not listening to music?

13. titian

titian New Member

Your hypothesis could be that classical music lowers BP while hard rock raises BP. You can buy a sphygmomanometer cheaply. It's actually quite easy once you learn how to detect the resumption of the thump (via sthethoscope) and the loss of the thump. That's your systolic and diastolic pressure.

Hey, how about a gmail invite? I noted that you posted earlier you had ample invitations.

14. DreamLandMafia

Leave me your email and ill get to it once im done typing a report, 3 pages on whats needed to be a Biochemist. WHOO!!!!!:mnky:

15. titian

titian New Member

16. DreamLandMafia

Damn...I cant do the blood pressue one without having to do 50 people per type of music.

DAMN THOSE REQUIREMENTS!!!!

And the plant idea is to "unadvanced" my teacher said.

Any other ideas?

17. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

It took superman years !!! be patient ( or just try hitting all the buttons at once , see what happens !):D

18. titian

titian New Member

19. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

You could do the "copper into gold" thing. I want too do it for fun.:bouncy: I am going too have SO MUCH FUN fooling my friends.:sing::sing::sing::cheers::bounce::bouncy::bounce:

20. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

Heck, build a real one.
    You could also build a Lifter. They're triangular devices that when charged with 25-60 Kv the rise into the air.
    For more info and actual pictures of these things go to The Lifters builders dedicated home page .

DISCLAMIER:If you decide too do this then I have to tell you that if charged with too much voltage, it may burst into flame and that is VERY hard too see when you just spent the last 6 hours building it. So I would suggest that you stick with 50Kv.