Metaphysics Hatred

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by Icewolf, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

The title is by no means overly strong. I wanted to ask peoples opinions of hatred and what drives people to such extremes. examples being, Hitler, The people who do the suicide bombings, I suppose we could even put in here people hae been wronged and want revenge on a single person. Hate, almost always, leads to suffering. But should we forgive and forget, or is Hatred just part of human nature?

[Edited on 4-1-2005 by Icewolf]

2. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

No, seriously, hatred is not a healthy emotion. Having said that it is an unavoidable emotion. As we mature we tend to be more in control of e motions, but who didn't hate that bullying kid at primary school ?

3. mrwupy

mrwupy New Member

Hate is a poison to the soul of the person that is doing the hating. I do not hate any thing or any one. I don't even like to say the word.

As for forgiveness, well, forgiveness is not a gift you give to the person that has wronged you. Forgiveness is a gift you give to yourself so that you may go on with yor life in peace.

Thats my two nickels on it. Love and light to each of you,

Wupy

4. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

I agree with you mrwupy !

It is a useless, poisonous emotion that no one needs!

5. Young William

Young William Premium Member

Again a great topic! Hatred can be viewed from a variety of angles, primarily because it seems to surface on an individual basis. Social psychology has developed a series of pathways to pronounce hatred, however it gives only tentative approaches to quell it.
    It's my opinion that hatred is a natural instinct, possibly existentent for reasons of dominance and survival. The only problem with this outlook, is that today's World would benefit substantially from the absence of this ancient hinderance.
    Race, religion, and gender are just a few examples of the obstacles that we've yet to overcome. My biggest problem with hatred, is that it produces only destructive results. The most notorious instances that come to my mind, are the lives of JFK, MLK, and Malcom X. Though history may name thousands more, I tend to fall back upon the lives of these three men as they have a;ll bestowed challenges upon our being. . To give everything requires an unblinding will, but to die at any given time requires only action, and hatred has been the witness of the most destructive forces of mankind.

6. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I hate Hatred:lol:

Seirously. I'm a verry nice person and not one to get anrgy or to hold a grudge. You could say I have a character of equanimity.

The whole phrase I hate hatred is funny because its an oxy moron duh.

7. badkitty

badkitty Member

I believe hatred is an evolutionary, nuerological reflexive response. Let me be more specific, it is a natureal chemical (neurological) response that is ingrained in our biology through evolution. We developed these natural aversions to unpleasant or harmful situations/persons through our need for survival. For example, if I as a child eat a hotdog and get violently ill from it I may in turn "hate" hotdogs. That doesn't mean that hotdogs are bad, only that I had a bad experience with hotdogs thus my mind has built in a natural "defense" against hotdogs. Likewise if a person or peoples harm us or offend us in any way we may develop a reflexive hatred of them. This harm may have been personal and direct or it may have been indirect and distant (as in an assault against or ancestors). Eiter way, the development of hate is the result of a natural relfex to protect self. In some people this reflex may be extreme (chemical imbalance or neurologically crossed wires so to speak) thus we see seemingly unexplained or unjustified hate. Also hate can be taught - for example, infants show no natural aversion to spiders. But when children see their parents starteld by them and killing them they learn to fear spiders. Likewise children learn to hate by the expamples set for them. Those of us who grow to be free thinkers can overcome these teachings - many cant. Thus un-solicited hate is perpetuated. And lets not foret the unstable mind. They can invent hate for no reason.

So, bottom line, hate is a natural human response to discomfort. It can benfit us (as in hating poisonous snakes) - however, when it comes to other human beings hate utimately hurts the hater. As we continue to grow and evolve I can only hope we will "outgrow" the concept of hating other human beings that have not literally harmed us.

8. TruthBringer

TruthBringer Premium Member

i think that hatred stems from a deep-rooted fear of something such as a person that is scared of spiders will say i hate spiders and harm them when possible and even in some cases people may have a fear of those of a different creed or race and may attack people with these characteristics (racism)

Yours, Truth

9. lord_lizarus

lord_lizarus Premium Member

Hatred drives a lot of people to do things that were seemingly impossible. Do you think that martin luther king could have did what he did if he did not hate what was happening to coloured people? People fighting for independance and freedom fight hard because of their hate for the people that have enslaved them.
    Sure it is a horrible emotion but it drives us to do the impossible.
    It's not all black and white.
    Hate isn't always bad and happiness isn't always good.

10. TruthBringer

TruthBringer Premium Member

this reminds me of what my old relious education teacher used to have written on her wall of the class room
    "hate is only as strong as the love that chases it away"
    or something along those lines, it was a long time ago

Yours, Truth

11. Very good William. I would agree, but would say instead that Rage is an animalistic instinct that is remembered as hatred. When you loath something it takes time to sink into the bowels of your soul, that's where hatred dwells, in the dark crevasses of your being. It's almost like stored up rage, you are first rageful, you then hide it, but continue to seeth with it, only to bring it back out again at the primal moment. It's the dark side of our being and part of what makes man naturally inclined towards evil.

Ben

12. Kalibur

Kalibur Premium Member

Hatred -- The strongest weakness.

13. pRoPhEcY

pRoPhEcY New Member

Hatred?

What causes someone to slam crowbars through the chests of Black boys?

Ever seen a lynching postcard?

A person can feel hatred for themselves.

And that feeling can be PROJECTED unto others.

I hate poverty.:shk:

I hate selfishness.:$$:

I hate iniquity.:dn:

14. pieman

pieman Premium Member

because we have a luanguage that evolved in a socity that wished to surpress emotion we have ended up with a terribly poor emotional luanguage, to hate a person is an entirly dofferent emotion to hating an idea or concept, love, anger happiness and sorrow are all the same, it makes talking about these things very difficult.

i think we tend to hate a concept first, because it scares us, like all the NWO stuff you'll see on ATS, it all stems from fear, we then, as human beings, look all over the place until we find a scapegoat, someone to personify the concept we hate, we then wish to destroy the personifacation in order to destroy the concept.

hitler's hatred of the jews is a good example.
    after the end of WW1 the germans were very harshly dealt with, also the germans surrendered at a stage when they seemed to have a slight edge, which was as good as it got in WW1, the terms of surrender led to economic stagnation, hitler looked around for somone to blame and at the time the jews were the uasual suspects, they were demonised on all sides, even in the US, so he picked them. he attemped to destroy them because they were the personifacation of what he hated, rich miserly bankers who wished to introduce a oneworld zionist empire. thats the problem that led to the final solution.

i think there's a lesson for today in that.

15. Raideur

Raideur Premium Member

Humans inherently learn of things that disturb them, either simply from taste, experience, or lack of experience, and with that comes the disturbing thoughts of them that is associated with them. We all dislike confusion and being disturbed at the level of our santified thought.

This dislike of confusion becomes the dislike of that which causes it. We seek to eliminate that which causes our internal strife in the hope that the physical destruction will result in its mental destruction in our minds, or at least, a pleasure of knowing the real thing does not exist, if we cannot remove the disturbing thought.

Perhaps I am making giant assumptions of the methods of which we produce subconcious motives, but unless otherwise pointed out, that logic seems sound.

I'd enjoy if someone, please not using specific examples because of the nature of this claim, could point out any flaws.

Also, looking over the topic again, I noticed you all frown on hatred. I see no problem with it. Each situation requires the outlook of the person involved. Hatred can be a focusing emotion, giving you mental strenght in yourself, and providing reason and motive for your quest, passively or actively, against that which you feel is unclean, incorrect, or evil. To judge one from afar on the motives of his hatred is a foolish action, for the observer will never truly know.

[Edited on 4-14-2006 by Raideur]