Metaphysics Has anyone ever practiced Qigong?

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by mscbkc070904, Apr 6, 2005.

1. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I am looking into this, just wandering if it actually works.

Here is some info I got on it.

Qigong, the Ancient Art for Health

Qigong is the phonetic transcriptions (Qi and Gong) of two Chinese characters as shown in the title. Qi means literally air, which represents a kind of energy flowing according to certain routes in your body. Gong means the great effort or work put into the qi practice. Through working inside your body and mind, using the methodology of Qigong, you may achieve a perfect harmony in your body, mind, and spirit, so this may lead to a more energetic and healthier life. Therefore, Qigong is the Chinese way of cultivating the human body and is the ancient Chinese methodology for health, therapy, and longevity.

Qigong has a history of at least 3,000 years in China. It is believed that Qigong was gradually developed through the struggle for survival in ancient China. People found that certain body movements along with various ways of breathing and mental concentration, could greatly improve some body functions. These techniques and knowledge were further refined over time and passed down through generations. Qigong often has a strong bond with religions, particularly Taoist and Buddhist. One of the examples of this bond is Shaolin Temple, which is well known for its martial arts or Qigong (Qigong is considered the base of martial arts). Many quite different forms of Qigong were established over the long history of Qigong. The bond between Qigong and religions is an important factor for the many forms of Qigong.

Chinese medicine is traditionally based on the theory of Yin and Yang. Chinese think everything consists the yin and the yang. Such as for human being, female is the yin and male is the yang. Human body is also governed by the yin and the yang. The yin and the yang, are in constant evolution and revolution, and interaction between them. Disease and illness are the direct cause of the imbalance between the yin and the yang. Qigong is the natural method to control and adjust one's yin and yang to achieve the balance of them, so it optimizes the body's ability to use the most of latent energy within the human body and to guard any invasion of disease or illness.

Trying to establish a scientific foundation, many researchers and Qigong masters have done some research on Qigong using modern technologies, yet much more work still needs to be done to understand Qigong better.

Today, Qigong is extremely popular in China. You can often see a lot of people practice Qigong in the morning. It is estimated that there are about 200 popular forms of Qigong and 100 million people practice Qigong.

2. mscbkc070904

The history of Qigong (Ch'i Kung) commences beyond the era of written records, in the mists of prehistory. Earliest estimates suggest that self enhancement and empowerment practices date into the time of Chinese shamans, previous to 500 BCE.

While Qigong has strong roots into mystical and philosophical ground, the practical healing and stress management applications are the most popular aspects of the tradition in China today. Both the health and spiritual applications are rapidly gaining in popularity in the Western world as people realize that disease and stress are relieved by peace of mind.

Qigong is one of the four pillars of traditional Chinese medicine: Acupuncture, Massage, Herbal Medicines and Qigong. Of these, Qigong is the one that can be most easily self initiated. Both massage and herbal remedies can also be done as self care, however, Qigong is the mother of Chinese self healing. Patients who use Qigong faithfully need less medication, less acupuncture and heal faster.

The word Qigong breaks into Qi and Gong: Qi = vitality, energy, life force, Gong = practice, cultivate, refine; Qigong = to cultivate and refine through practice one's vitality or life force. The Chinese believe that the primary mechanism that is triggered by the practice of Qigong is a spontaneous balancing and enhancing of the natural healing resources in the human system. Over thousands of years millions of people have benefited from these practices believing that improving the function of the Qi maintains health and heals disease.

In the paradigm of mechanistic Western science, the practice of Qigong triggers a wide array of physiological mechanisms which have profound healing benefits. It increases the delivery of oxygen to the tissues. It enhances the elimination of waste products as well as the transportation of immune cells through the lymph system. And it shifts the chemistry of the brain and the nervous system. You can find a summary of the many physiological mechanisms that are initiated by the practice of Qigong in the Information Center.

There are various estimates for the number of varieties of Qigong. There are at least a thousand. Some elaborate and complex, some mysterious and esoteric and some simple and practical. If you adjust to a relaxed, upright posture, take a deep breath and relax your mind - you are already doing Qigong. Try this: sit up, relax your body, take a deep breath, rest your mind for just a moment. Already you are stimulating an automatic self healing response.

On any morning in the parks throughout China you will find literally thousands of people doing Qigong practices. Some practice individually quietly among the trees. Others practice in large groups of hundreds or even thousands. Often, one will see a patient, in hospital pajamas, doing a special form of cancer recovery Qigong - ta form of slow and intentful walking. Or a group might stand in a circle chatting as they do a simple form based on hand movements.

Qigong is one of the most powerful self healing traditions ever developed in human history. It is literally a health wonder of the world.

Source: www.healthy.net

3. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

First time I heard of it... The chinese have everything related to health. I used to take chinese health drinks (I guess you would call it that). The taste and smell were horrid, but I never got sick for the 3 years and felt much better...... hmmmmm Just the taste of it... :help::shk:

4. mscbkc070904

I know what you mean JC, never heard of it until I did a search on physiological enhancement methods and that was one of the results I got. So I decided to post what its all about. Its sort of just like Tai Chi, and they are interrelated.

5. tablet

tablet Premium Member

http://www.falundafa.org/

I’ve read the PDF and is very convincing. You will learn a lot of interesting philosophy, the Chinese government does not allow people to practice falun gong, I don’t know what’s that all about I guess it really open the mind and brighten/strengthen that the government feel that it’s a threat to its power.

Imagine all the Chinese suddenly wake up from this Qi Gong practice!

6. drlau

drlau Premium Member

Great post, mscbkc. I have just begun studying T'ai Chi, but I have planned to look into Qigong, also. So far, I have found that just doing the 1st few basic forms each morning has helped me to maintain more calm and focus throughout my day.

Tablet, you are right - the Chinese Govt. has outlawed the practice of Falun Dafa. Here is an explanation from the website, for those interested:

Amnesty International keeps a list of sentences, administrative sentences and those detained here.

Doc

7. GoneFission

GoneFission Premium Member

Falun Dafa certainly may be useful from a mental and physical health standpoint, but I'm a bit concerned over the spiritual nature of it. Some of the claims made seem to fly in the face of modern science. For instance, the following page contains pictures claiming to show the Fa:
    http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2005/3/8/58251.html

These are quite obviously simple camera tricks (unintentional, I'm sure), such as lens flare, double exposure, and something on or near the lens.

I understand that there is a lot of false propaganda going around about Falun Dafa, mostly distributed by the Chinese government, so I've been careful with passing judgement. However, the link above points to the "official" Falun Dafa site, so I'd say it's a safe guess that whatever's on there can be taken at face value.

In any case, meditiation has shown to reduce stress levels and increase concentration ability, so that alone is probably woth it.

I would also like to add that it is a tragedy how the Falun Gong practicioners are treated in China. I'm sure that they are not the only groups being targeted by the Chinese government, and it is a shame that the Western world isn't paying more attention (of course, what can we do - we depend upon China for a large portion of our consumer goods).