ID Lounge Happy April Fools - Let the fun begin

Discussion in 'ID Members Lounge' started by Zsandmann, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Three things in this thread.

1) Whats the best prank you have ever pulled on April Fools

2) Does anyone know the origin of this holiday?

3) We are mixing up some forums, not as a trick, but as a treat, (No not Halloween), to streamline the site and regain our focus on scientific discussion and debate.

Welcome to Ignorance Denied 1.1, est. April 1st, 2005

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Origin of April Fools Day - from Snopes.

When the western world employed the Julian calendar, years began on March 25. Festivals marking the start of the New Year were celebrated on the first day of April because March 25 fell during Holy Week. The adoption of the Gregorian calendar during the 1500s moved the New Year to January 1. According to the most widely-believed origin for April Fools' Day, those who could be tricked into believing April 1 was still the proper day to celebrate the New Year earned the sobriquet of April fools. To this end, French peasants would unexpectedly drop in on neighbors on that day in a effort to confuse them into thinking they were receiving a New Year's call. Out of that one jape supposedly grew the tradition of testing the patience of family and friends.

But that's only one theory. Others are:
    The timing of this day of pranks seems to be related to the arrival of spring, when nature "fools" mankind with fickle weather, according to the Encyclopedia of Religion and the Encyclopedia Britannica.

The Country Diary of Garden Lore, which chronicles the goings-on in an English garden, says that April Fools' Day "is thought to commemorate the fruitless mission of the rook (the European crow), who was sent out in search of land from Noah's flood-encircled ark."

Others theorize it may have something to do with the Vernal Equinox.

Some think to tie in with the Romans' end-of-winter celebration, Hilaria, and the end of the Celtic new year festival.

Snopes

3. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

I found out from my french teacher today that 1st april is also kno9wn as poisson d'avril (fish of april) and what the french do is try and attach a fish to someones back. Not sure what thats all about.

4. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I've noticed a few Foolish threads pop up today. Hmmm don't believe all you read?

5. Derek

Derek ■֎؜♫■ Staff Member

Huh?? :@@:

6. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Now that the holiday is over can folks go back and lable their April tricks as such. ;)

Just for the record and all.

7. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Well, I didnt actually do this on April 1st, since we were going to be on spring break, but i live in a dorm setting where the guys across the hall from me and next door rarely lock their doors. We had been trying to do this prank for awhile, but it seemed any time the four roommates (two per room) would leave, one of them would remember to lock one of the doors.

Finally though, they were all gone, and wouldnt be back until late

We took one of the roommates from one room and switched all his stuff with a roommate from the other room. We switched their desks, drawers, matresses, closets, everything! When we were done, we labeled their doors with the now correct names.

8. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Hehehe, nice! You could of glued all the furniture to the ceiling though for the trifecta. :lol:

9. GoneFission

GoneFission Premium Member

:lol:

Hehe, good one pine! :up:

There's no need for a special day to pull college pranks, they're just part of daily life. Some of my favorites:

When someone's in their room (sleeping, studying, passed out, whatever) tape garbage bags or plastic wrap over the doorway. Fill the space between the garbage bags and the door with leaves, packing peanuts, or something like that. The person will get a nice surprise when they open the door! Naturally, this only works if the door opens into the room.

My fraternity got a big box of samples of Axe body spray one semester, which led to a number of pranks. The best was just to tape the button down on a couple, toss them in the persons room, and close the door. The room would stink something fierce for the next day or so.

And then there's all the fun that can be had with CO2 fire extinguishers...

Moral of the story: LOCK YOUR DOOR!

10. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Don't forget the classic penny lock. Or if your really vindictive you could fill the keyhole with epoxy.

11. Derek

Derek ■֎؜♫■ Staff Member

Boy am I glad I didn't go to college and just attended a local apprenticeship, I would have been had by tricksters like Pine, GF and Z!! :@@:

Those are some funny pranks. :up: