Chit Chat Green Tea & Pistachios *very Off-topic*

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Subdued, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Subdued

Subdued Emotional Wreckage Premium Member

Alrightie. First of all, i am really sorry that this is such a freaky issue which doesn't fit anywhere... If the moderators aren't quite happy with it, feel free to move to a different section of the forum or - because truily there isn't a section that does fit this thing - feel free to delete.
    Here is what is all about... I am trying to lose some weight - in the moment i'm about 55 kg, and i want to go down to 48/49. So, i kind of restrict myself. One thing i cannot afford myself cutting out of the menu is the green tea and pistachios (i can live on that for months, i swear). The only problem is that it gets boring when you eat them as green tea and pistachios every time... You know what i mean? There must be something else you can do with them. Something like green tea & pistachio low fat cake... Something like those brownies, only maybe not so brown. I have never heard of a green tea & pistachio cake, but i hoped that maybe someone out there would know... Any suggestions? Any ideas?

2. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

Firstly Let me say that from you photo in the i.d thread you look great girl, so I question why you need to lose this weight since 55 seems quite healthy to me.
    If your really intent on it I reccomend you see a dietician who can tell you exactly how to go about it in the right way. Many diet's etc lose weight by burning muscle tissue and not fat reserves only making you weaker and later the weight returns as more fat.
    Please be careful.

Now to you cake question...I love nothing beter than my own fresh and still warm cake. I use a bread baker it's so easy but oven is good.
    Here's a recipy from my sis. I've replaced the walnuts with pistachio's and can't wait to try it myself.

BANANA & PISTACHIO LOAF

250ml (1 cup) castor sugar
    125g soft butter
    4 bananas
    2 eggs
    80ml (1/3 cup) milk
    10ml (2 teaspoons) vanilla essence
    5ml (1 teaspoon) lemon juice
    500ml (2 cups) cake flour
    5ml (1 teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda
    1ml (¼ teaspoon) salt
    100 g 'pistachios, broken into pieces

Set the oven at 160ºC.
    Grease a large loaf tin.
    Cream the sugar and butter until fluffy.
    Chop the bananas roughly and mix in.
    Mix eggs, milk, vanilla essence and lemon juice add on top of mix.
    Sift the flour, bicarb and salt on top of the mixture.
    Scatter over the nuts and fold in gently and thoroughly.
    Pour into the loaf tin and bake for about 1 hour until a skewer or fork comes out clean.
    Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
    Eat with a yummy cup of green tea.

You could also try this...
    Take the 125g butter and melt in a pan.
    add about 15g green tea leaves and simmer for about 5min.
    Strain the butter to remove leaves and set overnight in the fridge.
    The essince of the tea should be in the butter and you can use it to bake.
    Havn't tried this myself but should be yummy.
    enjoy.

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I would suggest not using much butter, as eatting fat like that will probably not help lose much weight.

Also, i have heard nuts contain a lot of fat. Why is it so nessary that you keep these in your diet (and possibly make them a staple)

4. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Firstly, never quit something you love !

Secondly, I agree with kiwirobin, you look great, don't go changing!

5. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Dear Cher , both those items might be nice whipped into some lofat vanilla yogurt and frozen for a bit . :yes:

6. Subdued

Subdued Emotional Wreckage Premium Member

Thank you very much, Rob:D... May i say Rob? Or everyone calls you kiwirobin?:)))))
    Anyway, on Friday my nephew had a birthday, so we made your recipe. In addition to that i made green tea and pistachio muffins (yes, there is such a thing!), and mom made one more pistachio and green tea cake (very low fat - no kidding). It all was delicious. And no, pineapple (Gee, i am talking to fruits!), they weren't a staple. I just had a bite... I couldn't have more even if i wanted to (anyone who had the chance to invite Huns for dinner, knows what i'm talking about).

Okay, babe, but i have to ask Sonny first.:p

7. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

Ah, what is in a name... call me whatever you feel comfortable with.
    Glad you enjoyed the recipy:cheers:

8. Ape

Ape Premium Member

Ahh what a friendly place for some strange reason that was nice to read. (just me talking to myself)