Physical Science Gravity and Evolution

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by JcMinJapan, Nov 7, 2004.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Ok, I started this thread due to the thread I have a hypothesis!. Now, it started to talk about evolution changing due to gravity changes due to the heating and cooling of the atmosphere. I started looking it up to help out with some answers and came across this great research paper. It is a wonderfularticle in plain English with only a touch of math. But provides a clear picture on how gravity affects the human body. It is only 29 pages and is very informative.

Please read and give your thoughts.

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Gravity as well as many forces on this planet affect how we evolve as a species. Makes you wonder what other aliens will look like. I mean a small change in gravity, sound waves, light waves and anything else affected by the climate, gravity, and other forces will change a specied over millions of years.

3. Derek

Derek ■֎؜♫■ Staff Member

Does gravity have an effect on sound and light waves, beings that it might be a wave also?

I will agree that gravity has a profound effect on life, as does light too, I will have to find the article talking about finding creatures trapped in an environment completely sealed off from our environment for millions of years, living proof of this claim.

4. blue

blue Premium Member

have gravitational forces changes effected- say dinosaurs?

5. pieman

pieman Premium Member

gravity bends light waves, thats one way to spot a black hole, from the light bent around it, i'd imagine the effect on sound would be less because sound is a vibration in air but given that gravity would exert a force on air it would have an effect on the frequency of sound waves.

according to the articille gravity has remained constant on earth through the evolution of life, so there wasn't a gravitional change to effect the dinosaurs.

however, gravity seems to effect a responce in relation to size, there is more of an effect the larger the lifeform, so large dinosaurs would be affected more severly than humans if they were both to encounter the same gravitational changes.

6. Derek

Derek ■֎؜♫■ Staff Member

I wonder.........

How could the dinosaurs have reached such great heights if gravity today was the same as then? Research on the tallest humans today show a huge strain on their bones, obviously caused by their weight/mass, caused by the mass of the earth keeping us grounded and never reaching heights of over 10 feet.

So maybe millions of years ago, the earth had less mass, allowing dino's to grow humongous?

7. pieman

pieman Premium Member

source
    my point, my point, my point!!
    the size of life is far more dependant upon food availability and living space,

surely it would be evident in dino bone structure if they lived in a period of lesser gravity, there must be a corilation between thickness and dencity in relation to weight.

8. blue

blue Premium Member

just an aside here- i once recall reading that dragonflys once had a wingspan of 3 ft. making them somewhat conciderably larger then they are today. Yet science says that today they are as large as thier exoskeleton will allow them to be able to fly. Seems to me that means the atmosphere was way thicker then then now, was the gravity perhaps lower also?

9. pieman

pieman Premium Member

there is no evidence that i know of that the earth has gained a large amount of mass since the begining of the evolution of life on earth, therefore it is pretty safe to assume that gravity on earth has remained constant throughout that evolution.

there was an abundance of CO2 in the atmosphere in the carboniferous period, i'm not sure weather this made the atmosphere more boyant or not but it allowed plants to grow to massive sizes and insects and reptiles/anphibians were the dominant forms of life, if we assume that the piece i quoted a few posts up is correct this lack of compititon should have alloud insects to momothise.