Earth Science Global Warming is a myth

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by helenheaven, Oct 17, 2004.

1. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

The film, The Day after tomorrow, is all about the catastrophic events resulting from global warming.

But does global warming exist ?

Personally I think not.

"The film packages and sells what environmentalists have been preaching in schools and in public for decades: the idea that technological advances that prolong and enrich human life come at the cost of destroying the planet through global warming - a suggested increase in worldwide temperatures caused by man-made greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide.

With the release of "The Day After Tomorrow," people and the media have a renewed interest in this topic. However, there seems to be a lack of hard evidence suggesting that the earth really is getting warmer, that such weather patterns are outside of the normal fluctuation ranges or that any of it is caused by human activity.

This isn't just a stubborn denial by politicians or chemical plant owners. More than 17,000 scientists have signed the Oregon Institute Petition, which states that "there is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate."

If this were a small misunderstanding, it wouldn't be a problem to clear up. However, an incredible amount of people believe in this. In a national survey of 1,000 adults conducted by the polling firm Global Strategy Group this year, 70 percent of Americans polled said they consider global warming to be a "very serious" or "somewhat serious" problem. "

Source:http://www.thebatt.com/news/2004/06/02/Opinion/The-Myth.Of.Global.Warming-683933.shtml

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I was not saying that it is being caused by humans or anything on the earths surface. I was just saying that there is a change in the global temp.

Unless you dont agree with that either...

---pineapple

3. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

yeah read my post on the possiblity of coming out of a semi-ice-age right now. *link will come soon*. i think it is porbably a little of column a and a little of column b - to quote the philosopher homer (simpson that is).

interesting, britain used to be a rainforest, that would imply we were hotter than we are now

4. titian

titian New Member

I think the jury is still out on whether human waste products like CO2 from emissions can cause global warming. On one hand you can use science to state that an excess of CO2 can create imbalances; and on the other hand you can use research to show that such imbalances have yet to be located.

I'm more interested in natural global warming, the kind that could precede global cooling. There are plenty of scientists on either side of this view as well:

http://www.whoi.edu/institutes/occi/currenttopics/ct_abruptclimate.htm
    News
    USATODAY.com - Answers: Could warming cool Europe, maybe start an ice age

5. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

From gelogical data from the past that ive seen times or tempature rising and lowering seems normal. i do not think that output of carbon dioxide by humans is causing a global warming simply becasue plant life around the globe has been suffering from lack of carbondioxide. it is geting hard for plants to develop and more and more lads are tunging to grasslands instead of forest areas. in areas that have been destroyyed by forest fire trees are not growing backk as densely and instead grasses and shrubs are taking over the area. THere has been alot more evidince towards a lack of carbon dioxide than an increase. Im too lazy to find a link so could someone if bored search this.

here is a nasa site on climate change and current missions in teh area
    http://www-airs.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/mission.html

6. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

helen, my apoligies.

i had a nasa engineer come to my science class friday and he was showing us offical nasa charts that measured global warming overall and it shows that near the surface of the earth, the tempeture is indeed rising, but following the pattern, it should cool down in a short bit of time, but the temp of the higher atmosphere has actually been cooling for quite some time

I guess i just had to hear it from someone who can prove it themselves.

---pineapple

7. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

yea there is no doubt that the earth is heating up a bit but i think the issue is if it is our fault or if it is just the way nature works.

8. Nygdan

Nygdan Member

"Global Warming is a Myth"

Animals affected by it apparently disagree

Report: Many Species Scramble to Adjust to Warming

9. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

10. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

This certainly does sound serious to me. Global Warming is definately happening, but why. Well one thing is that the Sun will get hotter as it grows older. But, the speed at which it is happening is alot faster than what they sun will heat up.

11. Nygdan

Nygdan Member

Had you planned on saying something else? You already made that statement earlier, why repeat it?

If gases that cause temperature to increase are emited in increased amounts due to human processes, and temperature is increasing, then why think that temperature isn't increasing because of human action??? CO2 is a greenhouse gas. It causes the earth to retain heat. Humans make things like factories, powerplants and cars that emit large amounts of CO2. Temperature is increasing. Therefore, temperature is increasing 'unnaturally'. Is there anything that suggests its CO2 isn't being emited in larger amounts than normal?

12. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Yes, there is! IT is called denial and politics...... :yes::yes::yes:

13. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Pro-Man-Made Global Warming
    http://www.grida.no/climate/vital/01.htm
    Anti-Man-Made Global Warming
    http://mitosyfraudes.8k.com/Calen/correlaEng.html

14. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Well there are many factors that can lead to an increse to golbal tempature which is why i repeated my post i wanted to say it again because it seemed people missed it. CO2 is not the only thing that can raise temature
    also CO2 is released normaly by volcanoes and gysers it bubbles to the surface in ponds and it is expeled in forest fires that re natural. This is what caused global temature to rise enough to get us out of the last ice age.
    i just want it clear that global warming IS real BUT it may not be our fault.

15. Nygdan

Nygdan Member

I agree its not 'settled', however, given that industry is dumping enourmous amounts of green house gas into the atmosphere, and so is agriculture (ie 'cow farts') and so are vehicle emmissions, I should think that there needs to be an explanation as to why there isn't global warming, if it isn't supposed to be occuring.